SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS package failing while executing as Agent job

SSIS package failing while executing as Agent job

Author
lazy writer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I had some weird issues while running SSIS package as agent job. I can run SSIS package manually but failing to run as agent job. I thought its permission issues with Agent service account then I RDP into the server using service account login (domain\agentserviceaccount) and run the package and it went fine.

any idea?

much appreciated Smile

Thanks
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

What error message are you getting when you run it as a job? Does the package use package configurations? Could it be that the configuration settings are being picked up from a different place when you run it as a job?

John
lazy writer
lazy writer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)

Thanks John,

This package wouldn't use any configurations and everything saved with in the package. Interestingly it works fine when I login as Agent service account then give right click and execute package all good but only problem when running as SQL Agent Job.

Error message keep varying and not the same for every failure as shown below..

failed with the following error: "String or binary data would be truncated

DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

What are the differences between your login and the SQL Server Agent account login? Default database? Language? Anything else?

Does your package do anything user-sensitive, for example INSERT INTO MyTable (mycol) VALUES (SUSER_NAME())? If you could find out what task it's failing on, that will help you to work out the reason for the failure.

John
lazy writer
lazy writer
SSC-Enthusiastic

thanks for your response John,

Here I am not comparing it with my login and service account.

just to narrow down the issue I logged into the server as service account using service account credentials and then ran the package execute utility and it wen fine.

then I ran the same package as Agent job and then it failing Sad -- While running as Agent Job it will be executed under the same service account security context.

any idea?
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

lazy writer (3/20/2013)
Hi,

I had some weird issues while running SSIS package as agent job. I can run SSIS package manually but failing to run as agent job. I thought its permission issues with Agent service account then I RDP into the server using service account login (domain\agentserviceaccount) and run the package and it went fine.

any idea?

much appreciated Smile

Thanks

You need to have the package encryted with the user. you can open and save it all day however if you do not encrypt it won't save and it will fail.

MCSA SQL Server 2012
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

It's the Database!!! (3/20/2013)
lazy writer (3/20/2013)
Hi,

any idea?

much appreciated Smile

Thanks

You need to have the package encryted with the user. you can open and save it all day however if you do not encrypt it won't save and it will fail.

see this link for more detail...

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2091/securing-your-ssis-packages-using-package-protection-level/

MCSA SQL Server 2012
Welsh Corgi
Welsh Corgi
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Right Click on the Project and Select Properties,

On the left click the debugging tab.

Make sure that Run64bitRuntime is set to false.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
Welsh Corgi
Welsh Corgi
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Looking at your error message more closely it could be related to the DSN.

Consider where it is a 32 bit DSN or a 64 bit DSN.

http://sql-ution.com/32-bit-odbc-connections-with-64-bit-ssis

Welsh Corgi
Welsh Corgi
One Orange Chip

lazy writer (3/20/2013)
Hi,

any idea?

much appreciated Smile

Thanks

I capture my error messages.

This is an example when the password was not stored:

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LS_RDB_DWH_POLICY" returned message "[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied ".

see this link for more detail...

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2091/securing-your-ssis-packages-using-package-protection-level/

I error that the OP is receving is not consistent with package encrypted.

You will get a completly different error if it is password related.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.