SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What to do about a complete lack of jobs?

What to do about a complete lack of jobs?

Author
Andrew Kernodle
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've encountered the problem of not being able to find further employment as a SQL Server programmer/admin in my area, strangely (or perhaps not quite!). The major issue is that it seems that, in this area (Chattanooga, Tennessee, US), hardly anybody is searching for programmers in general; the ones that are tend to be looking for people with much more experience than I have (almost two years; general requirements are 5-7 years or more). On the other hand, I've found two jobs to date where my experience is sufficient, but in both cases, I've been turned down, along with all the other applicants, or so it seems; the jobs were re-posted with much higher experience requirements on the second go-round, and they're still being reposted each month.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what to do about finding further employment; my current workplace is rather toxic at all levels, and I'd much rather leave here as fast as I possibly can. I don't have quite enough money to simply leave it and search for a job afterwards (since the pay here is slightly better than minimum wage), but I'm honestly not sure how much longer I can tolerate being in this environment. Moving away from this city is one choice, but because of my medical history and current living conditions, I'd have to move out on my own, which could be a bit risky for me.

I know what I'm asking is essentially a gigantic shot in the dark, but does anyone have some advice on a situation like this? I feel like I'm fast approaching my wit's end, and my efforts don't seem to be pulling me out of this situation very efficiently Sad

- :-D
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

The requirements on many job descriptions are more of a fishing exercise than a statement of reality. You'll probably find your two years' experience qualifies you for quite a few jobs that say they want five to seven. Don't let it put you off applying.

John
Andrew Kernodle
Andrew Kernodle
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Hm, I see. That certainly would make things seem quite a bit less grim overall; to be honest, I was a bit worried that such a job would take me on board and I'd simply crash and burn, but, on second thought, they'd have butchered me in the interview before that would happen, hopefully! Alright, I'll see what I can do with that, and thank you for the suggestion!

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)

John Mitchell-245523 (3/12/2013)
The requirements on many job descriptions are more of a fishing exercise than a statement of reality. You'll probably find your two years' experience qualifies you for quite a few jobs that say they want five to seven. Don't let it put you off applying.

John

I strongly agree here. It goes along with the idea that "The answer is ALWAYS "No"... unless you ask."

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Andrew Kernodle
Andrew Kernodle
Ten Centuries

Just thought I'd update this... After tossing out some more applications to places that were a bit out of reach experience-wise, I've managed to get a contracting job with one local company :-). The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there. Thanks a lot for the advice; even if it was probably a bit obvious, it definitely helped!

Dird
Dird
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there.

Don't do that; contractors rake it in! Tongue

Dird

Dird
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)

Dird (5/20/2013)
hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there.

Don't do that; contractors rake it in! Tongue

Dird

It depends. Just like FTEs, contractors only make money when they have a job to do.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
dan-572483
dan-572483
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Agreed, both the most and least lucrative weeks of my career was when I was contracting. It's feast or famine.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)SSC Guru (149K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Networking is key. Go to user groups, talk to others. That will be a better avenue, IMHO, than searching ads.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

hisakimatama (3/21/2013)
Just thought I'd update this... After tossing out some more applications to places that were a bit out of reach experience-wise, I've managed to get a contracting job with one local company :-). The contract could lead to full employment, so I'll give everything I've got and see if I can get hired there. Thanks a lot for the advice; even if it was probably a bit obvious, it definitely helped!

Congrats I guess.
Realized you posted this 5 months ago while I was typing this reply :-)

How's the job going?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.