Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Logshipping Query

Logshipping Query

Author
mahesh.dasoni
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Logshipping is out of sync for 2 days and so i have a huge amount of logfiles to copy and restore to DR Server.Is there any way by which i can reduce my time of restoring all these logfiles and instead do something by which my logshipping can start without restoring all the logfiles one by one.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

How often do you do FULL backups?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

mahesh.dasoni (1/11/2013)
Logshipping is out of sync for 2 days and so i have a huge amount of logfiles to copy and restore to DR Server.Is there any way by which i can reduce my time of restoring all these logfiles and instead do something by which my logshipping can start without restoring all the logfiles one by one.
i can smell that its again interview question ? anyways restore latest backup would be easier and appropriate approach here

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

If you have not taken a full backup on the primary since log shipping became out-of-sync then you can bring the secondary up to date and resuming the existing log shipping configuration by taking a differential backup from the primary and restoring it on the secondary. If you have taken a full backup from the primary since log shipping went out-of-sync then you will need to re-initialize log shipping from a full backup.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Opc is right about the differential backup. About restoring the full backup. If the size of the DB is big and if you have all transaction logs I will probably copy all the transaction logs and start the restore job. If restoring the differential is an option I'll will chose that one for sure.

My blog

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.