Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transactions in T-SQL

Transactions in T-SQL

Author
venus.pvr
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)SSC Veteran (299 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transactions in T-SQL
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Lots of reading :-)
Thanks for the question.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Stuart Davies
Stuart Davies
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (11/12/2012)
Lots of reading :-)
Thanks for the question.

Agree - good question though.

-------------------------------
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Smart way to ask a question

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

awesome read. Smile

(there were some statements where I guess were added to create extra confusion... OR to make it more interesting... ;-) :rolleyesSmile

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

Interesting question, lots of reading.
thanks

Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Rather complicated!
But easy to guess the right answer, as there had to be at least 2 rows in #temp (the 2 inserted outside the loop) which ruled out half the answers; and the loop was either going to insert 6 rows or none, which ruled out the other.
Nils Gustav Stråbø
Nils Gustav Stråbø
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thanks for the question.
Got it wrong because I missed the last INSERT statement after the WHILE LOOP.

If the intention was to test the knowledge of nested transactions then the code was too complicated in my opinion.

A much more readable example that also tests the users knowledge of transactions could have been

create table #t1(id int)
insert into #t1 values(1)

begin tran t1
insert into #t1 values(2)

begin tran t2
insert into #t1 values(3)

begin tran t3

if @@trancount>0
rollback tran

if @@trancount>0
commit tran t2

if @@trancount>0
rollback tran t1

select * from #t1

Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Nils Gustav Stråbø (11/13/2012)
Thanks for the question.
Got it wrong because I missed the last INSERT statement after the WHILE LOOP.

If the intention was to test the knowledge of nested transactions then the code was too complicated in my opinion.

A much more readable example that also tests the users knowledge of transactions could have been

create table #t1(id int)
insert into #t1 values(1)

begin tran t1
insert into #t1 values(2)

begin tran t2

begin tran t3

if @@trancount>0
rollback tran

if @@trancount>0
commit tran t2

if @@trancount>0
rollback tran t1

select * from #t1

the point here is.. once you check the tran count and you roll back them - it rolls back all of them... so there is no point to check the transaction again and commit it, as it never going to be greater than 0 after rolled back, in your example you created the transaction each one manually and the same is achieved via while loop in the Qtod, and there were some statements which adds kind of interest to the analysis where the making a choice going to take a while.

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
rodjkidd
rodjkidd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Godd Question.
I did a big oops though, missed the first insert before the loop, so my second count was always out. Must rememeber to drink cofee before QOD...

Rodders...

Nils Gustav Stråbø
Nils Gustav Stråbø
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Raghavendra, exactly. Keep it simple. That way you'll be able to test the reader's knowledge about transactions. No need to add a lot of extra noise.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.