SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Do not wait for Query to completed

Do not wait for Query to completed

Author
haiao2000
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello Experts,

I have an application that does many things, at the end, it calls a stored procedure to perform some cleanup tasks. this stored procedure may take 10+ minutes to complete. I don't want the application to sit there and wait for the stored procedure to complete then return control to the application. instead it should kick off the task and say "my job is done" and stored procedure continues to run until it is done. is this the type of thing that should be handled on the application end, wonder if there is a away to handle this in sql end?

I look at the NOWAIT option, but it doesn't seem something I could use. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

As you suspect this is something to be resolved on the application side.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)

This can be done pretty easily. Create an SQL Server job to run the proc and have the app kick the job off.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
haiao2000
haiao2000
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)

Jeff Moden (10/28/2012)
This can be done pretty easily. Create an SQL Server job to run the proc and have the app kick the job off.

I thought about this too. Thanks!
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)

haiao2000 (10/28/2012)
Jeff Moden (10/28/2012)

I thought about this too. Thanks!

Tou may also want to look at Service Broker if it is possible that the procedure must be able to run in parallel with itself.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
haiao2000
haiao2000
Right there with Babe

Jeff Moden (10/28/2012)

Saying I have a SQL job that executes a stored procedure as follow. Could you give an example (VB or C#) code to execute this job. Provided procedure DoSomeCleanupTasks takes 2 parameters (A Int, B DateTime)

Thank You!

USE [msdb]
GO

BEGIN TRANSACTION
DECLARE @ReturnCode INT
SELECT @ReturnCode = 0

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name=N'Database Maintenance' AND category_class=1)
BEGIN
EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_category @class=N'JOB', @type=N'LOCAL', @name=N'Database Maintenance'
IF (@@ERROR <> 0 OR @ReturnCode <> 0) GOTO QuitWithRollback

END

DECLARE @jobId BINARY(16)
EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_name=N'DoSomeCleanupTasks',
@enabled=1,
@notify_level_eventlog=0,
@notify_level_email=0,
@notify_level_netsend=0,
@notify_level_page=0,
@delete_level=0,
@description=N'No description available.',
@category_name=N'Database Maintenance',
@owner_login_name=N'sa', @job_id = @jobId OUTPUT

EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep @job_id=@jobId, @step_name=N'Refresh Parent Last Modified Date',
@step_id=1,
@cmdexec_success_code=0,
@on_success_action=1,
@on_success_step_id=0,
@on_fail_action=2,
@on_fail_step_id=0,
@retry_attempts=0,
@retry_interval=0,
@os_run_priority=0, @subsystem=N'TSQL',
@command=N'Exec dbo.DoSomeCleanupTasks',
@database_name=N'MyDataBase',
@flags=0
EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_id = @jobId, @start_step_id = 1
EXEC @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_id = @jobId, @server_name = N'(local)'
COMMIT TRANSACTION
GOTO EndSave
QuitWithRollback:
IF (@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
EndSave:

GO

Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Instead of calling the job explicitly, you could have a job that runs every five minutes or so, polls a table to see if any works needs to be done, and then executes the cleanup tasks.

What type of "cleanup" tasks are we talking about here?

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
haiao2000
haiao2000
Right there with Babe

Eric M Russell (10/29/2012)
Instead of calling the job explicitly, you could have a job that runs every five minutes or so, polls a table to see if any works needs to be done, and then executes the cleanup tasks.

What type of "cleanup" tasks are we talking about here?

This cleanup task needs to be part AND intergrated to a loader, client may schedule the loader to run on whichever schedule they want and yes we can have client set up this cleanup task/job to run immediately after the loader, etc. but that complecates things, client does not need to care about this cleanup task, that is just a quick explanation. On the end, we want it to be intergrated into one piece.
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (30K reputation)

I agree with Lynn - this is sounding more and more like a service broker opportunity.

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)SSC Guru (205K reputation)

haiao2000 (10/29/2012)
Jeff Moden (10/28/2012)

Saying I have a SQL job that executes a stored procedure as follow. Could you give an example (VB or C#) code to execute this job. Provided procedure DoSomeCleanupTasks takes 2 parameters (A Int, B DateTime)

My apologies. Can't help there. I'm a hardcore data troll. I don't even know how to spell C# never mind use it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.