SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What are reading now?

What are reading now?

Author
jasona.work
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
So I had hopped over to Gails blog site (SQL in the Wild) (and just realized how long it has been since the most recent article was posted, but oh well,) and seeing the listing of what she had been reading, caused me to start this.

Basically, what book(s) are you reading right now? Doesn't matter if it's a tech / work book, fun read, heck it could even be "Twilight."

Just post it here, and maybe even give a brief review / synopsis of it...

For me, right now I'm reading "The moon is a harsh mistress" by Heinlein, and just finished the other day "Childhoods end" by Clarke. Yes, I like classic SF.

And after I hit post I realized I forgot to add "you" between "reading" and "now"
D'OH!Ermm
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)

Ooh, need to go update my reading list....

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Stuart Davies
Stuart Davies
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

Just finished Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - now starting Jerome K Jerome's three Men in a Boat.
Yup - varied reading matter for me

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden Smart way to ask a questionThere are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
mtillman-921105
mtillman-921105
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

I'm reading "The sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes. It's a little too self-absorbed for my taste, but I generally like the book, and it's short (< 200 pages). :-D

Next, my plan is to return to reading philosophy - Bertrand Russell, until it gets too tedious again.

SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Just finished Proven Guilty (Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher. Really enjoying this series. It's not high fiction, by any means, but as an easy reading escape whilst work's hectic it fits the bill nicely.

Now starting Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)SSC Guru (226K reputation)

HowardW (10/18/2012)
Just finished Proven Guilty (Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher. Really enjoying this series. It's not high fiction, by any means, but as an easy reading escape whilst work's hectic it fits the bill nicely.

If you enjoy that, look up the Iron Druid series (Hounded is I think the first book). Similar style.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

HowardW
HowardW
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

GilaMonster (10/18/2012)

If you enjoy that, look up the Iron Druid series (Hounded is I think the first book). Similar style.

Thanks Gail. Added to the list!
David Lester
David Lester
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)Right there with Babe (735 reputation)

I have just finished audio versions of the entire Dresden series, and Butcher's Codex of Alera series. Nicely entertaining.

If you like fantasy, give a try to Brent Week's Night Angel series.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

I tend to have several books going at one.

Currently reading:
Historias de Cronopios y de Famas (mainly the stories in it that I didn't read before; it's quite hard going, my Spanish isn't really up to it, but it's excruciatingly funny so I enjoy it in small doses)
A Desert called Peace
Cumhnantan (yet again - I keep going back to that book)
Le château de ma mêre (It's 50 years since the last time I read that)
The History of Time: A Very Short Introduction
Derby's translation of The Illiad

Plus a couple of other Spanish novels that I'm half way through and go back to intermittently, because I was advised they would be good for my Spanish: Caperucita en Manhattan and Eva Luna - but only look at either of these for maybe an hour or two once a fortnight, or thereabouts.

Earlier this month finished reading 1636: The Kremlin Games; Sympathy for the Devil; A Beautiful Friendship; and rereading Le gloire de mon pêre and Cunnartan Cuain.

Oddly enough no maths or physics or CS books this month - that's unusual for me.

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.