SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Login failed for user 'NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService' 28000

Login failed for user 'NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService' 28000

Author
david 80723
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am using SQL Server 2012 developer edition on Windows 7. I have the following error attempting to process a dimension: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user 'NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService' 28000

I am new to SSAS and I have researched this thoroughly but still having trouble and don't have a lot of knowledge of all the different types of accounts.

Thank you very much!
Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Are you trying to process the cube remotely?

Jayanth Kurup
david 80723
david 80723
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

Thank you for your help. No, I'm not trying to access the cube remotely. This is a brand new SQL Server 2012 developer edition install with the default accounts on a laptop. The error occurred when I tried to process a dimension I created. I've done a lot of Google searches trying to get an answer and this article on the link below seemed to be the most relevant information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224973

By changing the MSSQLServerOLAPService service to run under a domain or local user account that is a member of the OLAP Administrators group on the OLAP server and that has privileges on SQL Server, OLAP Services will be able to successfully process.

My settings are: In my SQL Server Configuration Manager>SQL Server Analysis Services>Properties>Log On As>This account: NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService [with a default password supplied during the install]

I don't know if the accounts are correct or how to find the OLAP Administrators group on the OLAP server in a Windows 7 environment. I am very new to SSAS.

Thank you!
david 80723
david 80723
Grasshopper

SOLUTION FOUND

I found the answer here on the MS SQL Server Forum for Analysis Services:

Solution for: OLE DB or ODBC error:Login failed for user NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService error - create new login in the SQL Server database engine so analysis services can read the data in the database being analyzed.

Create login and grant access:

Open up SQL Server Management Studio [login to the database engine]>
Security >
Login (Right click) >
New Login >add user: "NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService">
select the database being analyzed in the drop-down list at the bottom >
User Mapping [click on the database in the list] >
In the window database role membership click on db_datareader [this grants access to read the data]

More details here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189751.aspx

Hope this helps!

Shahfaisal Muhammed http://shahfaisalmuhammed.blogspot.com

http://shahfaisalmuhammed.blogspot.com/2012/09/login-failed-for-mssqlserverolapservice.html

Thank you everyone who helped me - thank you very much!
SQLUserC
SQLUserC
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)

Thanks for the info, I was having trouble with this as well.
careisin
careisin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Oh my gosh I'm so glad you posted this. I've been struggling for hours and this was exactly the thing that fixed it. Thanks
cxulz
cxulz
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

I have found another solution to the problem. Please see:

http://sqlserverandme.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-solution-for-ssas-deployment-error.html
rohitc 87397
rohitc 87397
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

You can also find the Windows Service (services.msc) and change the login account to one that already has access to your DB.
sqlcentral2@mailinator.com
sqlcentral2@mailinator.com
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)

Thanks, adding read right to SQLServerMSASUser$computer_name$instance_name solved the problem!

4x4 photos
Ike Ellis
Ike Ellis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Yep, worked for me.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.