SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Derived Column Error

Derived Column Error

Author
sqldummy79
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm trying to "change" the data of a specific column during a SSIS process.

I have a text file, that I'm trying to process into a database, and one of the columns (in the text file) contains "numeric" values or an empty space or null value or "--" (two dashes). I want to "replace" the empty space or "--" with a null value (DT_I4) and convert the numeric value to an integer (DT-I4) since the column in the data base is an int field.

This is the code that I have in the expression field

civilianYears == "--" || civilianYears == " " ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

However, when I run the task it keeps giving me an error message: The "Derived Column" failed because error code 0xC0049063 occurred, and the error row disposition on "Derived Column.Outputs[Derived Column Output].Columns[New]" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

I have a feeling it's the conversion in the "true" and "false" part but I can't figure out what it is.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

happycat59
happycat59
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.5K reputation)

A couple thoughts...perhaps the empty space string contains more (or less than one space) and also what happens when the souce column is null ?

Perhaps try....
civilianYears == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "" || ISNULL (civilianYears) ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

sandeep rawat
sandeep rawat
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)Right there with Babe (793 reputation)

Hi
try like below

(civilianYears == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "" || ISNULL (civilianYears)) ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears
Rock from VbCity
Rock from VbCity
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)

Nothing wrong with the previous two suggestions, but I rather prefer to check for NULL first, and TRIM() the column when checking for the double dashes, like below:

(ISNULL (civilianYears) || TRIM(civilianYears) == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "") ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

Cheers,

Hope this helps,
Rock from VbCity
sqldummy79
sqldummy79
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)

Thanks to everyone for the assistance

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.