Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Danger of Hiring Stars

The Danger of Hiring Stars

Author
hfjordan
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Personally, I like my 3 monitors. Gotta have Outlook on the small one.

Jamie Mcculloch-157655
Jamie Mcculloch-157655
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

I thought this article would be about employing someone super bright from the title. While the content was interesting and revealing it seemed to skit the issue.
David.Poole
David.Poole
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

In what way Jamie, what were you looking for?

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Jamie Mcculloch-157655
Jamie Mcculloch-157655
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

The three axioms... Can you do the job, do you want to and will you fit in? This was very succinct and so true. The star does the first two hands down. What about the third criteria? How do the other staff members feel about being shown up? Does this make for good teams or does it cause in fighting and make the team implode? Is it a good idea hiring a star if this is true? How would a star hide his potential, in the interview, to rip to the team apart? Perhaps it has something to do with making everyone around you look good. How would you convince someone you were a team player when you wanted the glory for yourself? PS sorry about the bad spelling (no chance of showing anyone up here!)
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
Vic Kirkpatrick-173212
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)

Nice article for sure. It just makes plain sense to tackle these questions and get good advice from others before making a major decision to switch jobs. The reasons you may want to switch jobs might not stand up to these questions once you think about it. My family and I have always considered these questions before deciding to move on, and it has helped tremendously.

David Lu
David Lu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)

Great article which vibrates my heart and push me to look back on all the jobs I have had in the I.T. field.

You provide a mirror for me and my family members, relatives and friends: it is not just for DBA, or I.T. guy, but for all job hunters. I have had most good moves for chasing career goals. I also had 2 bad moves due to crazy bosses and/or 12 hours working environment pressure. Along with the age increasing, so called 'maturity', I could have reduced the number of changing jobs about 50% today.

p.s. side question. I have been DBA, Database developer, .... but my faviourate thing is data modeling in design or re-design the company database. I still think the best job change was to get a chance to design 108 tables (an inventory control database) from scratch even with 120 miles daily traffic. This exposesd my potentiality and set up my future goal. But in reality, this kind chance probably is 1/1000 companies wants to do so. What is your advice?

thank you for your greate article to share with us.

David

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.