SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Seven Monitoring Scripts

Seven Monitoring Scripts

Author
IsaacGoGo
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jsack/sevenmonitoringscripts.asp

pgw34
pgw34
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)

Joseph's tips are always excellent but practicle as well (I would also recommend his book SQL 2000 Fast Answers)

paul warwick

paul warwick
IsaacGoGo
IsaacGoGo
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)SSC-Addicted (418 reputation)

Just an addendum to my article - for the
"INSERT #Errors EXEC xp_readerrorlog", this extended proc is in the master database... So change it to:

INSERT #Errors EXEC master..xp_readerrorlog

Also - remember to drop the temp table.

DROP TABLE #Errors

Thanks!

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)SSC Guru (282K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Very nice scripts. Need some modifications for me, but these are handy to have around.

Steve Jones
sjones@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones
www.dkranch.net

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
tulcanla
tulcanla
Old Hand
Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)Old Hand (361 reputation)

Thank you for all
but the coolest one is the SQL log script
Smile

icata
icata
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

For the script that is looking for jobs still running I think an easyer script will be

msdb.dbo.sp_get_composite_job_info @execution_status = 1

since the rest of parameters has a default NULL.

Ionel

byauchler
byauchler
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

This is a great article. My only suggestion would be to use master..xp_readerrorlog in the script in tip # 7.

Thanks,
Biva

philcart
philcart
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Just what I was looking for to drive my ASP status report.

One other tip for #7, I modified the SELECT statement to be like this,

SELECT TOP 50
CONVERT(datetime, LEFT(vchMsg, 23), 121) as MsgDate
, SUBSTRING(vchMsg, 24, 10) as MsgSource
, SUBSTRING(vchMsg, 33, 800) as MsgText
FROM #Tmp
WHERE vchMsg NOT LIKE '%Log backed up%'
AND vchMsg NOT LIKE '%.TRN%'
AND vchMsg NOT LIKE '%Database backed up%'
AND vchMsg NOT LIKE '%.BAK%'
AND vchMsg NOT LIKE '%Run the RECONFIGURE%'
AND vchMsg NOT LIKE '%Copyright (c)%'
AND LTRIM(RTRIM(LEFT(vchMsg, 1))) <> CHAR(9)
AND ID = 0
ORDER BY
CONVERT(datetime, LEFT(vchMsg, 23), 121) DESC

Now it shows the date, source and message text in seperate fields. The TOP 50 and ORDER BY I put in so that only the last 50 messages are displayed.

I'd like to improve it further by using the either the OPENROWSET or OPENQUERY statements to execute the xp_readerrorlog procedure. This would get rid of the temp table and I could put this in a stored procedure on one server and dynamically retrieve the error logs from servers that aren't linked.

The alternative to the stored procedure approach would be to open a database connection on the ASP page and dynamically build and execute the SQL statement there. Not my preferred option.

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Edited by - phillcart on 09/14/2003 8:02:15 PM

Edited by - phillcart on 09/14/2003 8:03:56 PM

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Mike Good
Mike Good
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Good stuff. To para #3 I would add "and unscheduled jobs."

I've been burned by someone else either removing or disabling the schedule of a regularly-scheduled job. At first glance you say "it's still enabled, why didn't it run?" There's no easy way to check if the schedule was deleted, but it is easy to see if the schedule is disabled.

Scott Arendt
Scott Arendt
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

I am going to add some of these into my daily reports. And yes, I do have co-workers that slip in new sysadmin users! At least this way I'll know it right away.

Any good scripts for monitoring replication status?

Regards,
Scott

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.