SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Stock Price Correlation Matrix

A Stock Price Correlation Matrix

Author
eephus101
Valued Member
Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Stock Price Correlation Matrix

John R
irozenberg
irozenberg
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)

Please note that matrix is symmetrical - therefore it could be calculated at least twice quicker. :-P
William Melcher
William Melcher
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)

thanks for the article John! To ironzenberg's point, you could cut down the number of calculations by adding a
where b.ticker > a.ticker
to the join.
sherifffruitfly
sherifffruitfly
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)

Is this process numerically stable?
eephus101
eephus101
Valued Member
Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)Valued Member (58 reputation)

irozenberg , william,

thanks for the feedback!

You are correct. I did calc twice to displace both the upper left and ower right portions of the displayed matrix. The reason for this is that many financial pros like to see both sides of this "mirror".

For large matrices, where performance could be impaired, I would utilize the "b.ticker > a.ticker" clause.

again, thanks...

-John

John R
mark_donskoy
mark_donskoy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

about 7 years ago i had a similar program - it calculated correlation between all Russel 1000 stocks plus few indices (all together about 1100 tickers) for data from 2 years back up to the date.
it took about 50GB of space on tempdb and about an hour to calculate
Misha_SQL
Misha_SQL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

In addition to this being a very useful article, I liked how it brings together several other powerful concepts: TVP and dynamic pivot. Thank you!

Jon Cooney
Jon Cooney
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

Thanks!

I was looking for exactly this!
ze.emobile
ze.emobile
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

Thanks for posting this. It's a blast from the past for me because I was tasked with doing the same about 20 years ago and all I had to work with was C-language. Relational databases at that time were not suitable for such work. As I recall my exercise also involved taking it a step further and attempting to optimize asset weighting so asto minimize portfolio variance for a required rate of return. In any event, SQL is way way more efficient approach to doing this stuff, at least from the programming standpoint, and you demonstrated that.
Wavesailor
Wavesailor
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)

Hi,

Thanks for article.

Does anyone know how to do this in mySQL? - I have some data in a mySQL DB and would love to view it.

I was able to convert the function but the rest exceeds my limited ability

DELIMITER $$

CREATE FUNCTION `fnGetCorrelation`(TickerA VARCHAR(10),
TickerB VARCHAR(10),
DateStart DATE,
DateEnd DATE
) RETURNS decimal(22,6)
BEGIN
DECLARE MeanA, MeanB, Corr, Return_Corr NUMERIC(22,6);

-- Get Mean Value for Ticker A
SELECT AVG(Price) INTO MeanA FROM Prices
WHERE ticker = TickerA
AND Date >= DateStart
AND Date <= IFNULL(DateEnd, CURDATE())
GROUP BY ticker;

-- Get Mean Value for Ticker B
SELECT AVG(Price) INTO MeanB FROM Prices
WHERE ticker = TickerB
AND Date >= DateStart
AND Date <= IFNULL(DateEnd, CURDATE())
GROUP BY ticker;

-- Calculate Correlation Coefficient
SELECT
(AVG((prcA.Price-MeanA)*(prcB.Price-MeanB)))/(STDDEV_POP(prcA.Price)*STDDEV_POP(prcB.Price)) into CORR
FROM Prices prcA JOIN Prices prcB
ON prcA.Date = prcB.Date
WHERE prcA.ticker = TickerA
AND prcB.TICKER = TickerB
AND prcA.Date >= DateStart
AND prcA.Date <= DateEnd;

-- SET Return_Corr = Corr;
RETURN(Corr);
END

Can anybody help?
Go

Permissions