SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Bulk Logged recovery model

Bulk Logged recovery model

Author
M&M
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bulk Logged recovery model

M&M
mohamed_ajeez
mohamed_ajeez
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

Excerpt from the link:"Under the bulk-logged recovery model, if a log backup covers any bulk operations, the log backup contains both log records and the data pages that were changed by bulk operations. This is necessary to capture the results of the bulk-logged operations. The incorporated data extents can make a log backup very large."

yes it is correct then in many artical explained in bulk-logged recovery log file not getting high size, which is true?, i checked out , in bulklog recovery log file getting high size during the operation, then what is use of bulklog recovery..
thecosmictrickster@gmail.com
thecosmictrickster@gmail.com
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

"Now, after you take a log backup, could you see a log file bigger than usual?"

No points for me. I perceive there being a difference between a "backup file" and a "log file". If someone says "log file" to me, I take it to mean the transaction log file, not the backup.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
--Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

The way I interpreted the question was:
1. Database is in full-recovery mode
2. User foresees bulk-operations (i.e. to be performed sometime in the future)
3. User therefore changes the database to bulk-logged recovery mode
4. User takes a log backup after changing the recovery model

I was unable to find a step that indicates whether bulk-logged operations were actually peformed. As log as bulk-logged operations are not performed, the log file size would not be impacted if the backup was taken immediately after changing the recovery model.

In my humble opinion, the question leaves room for an interpretation that's different than what the actual intention is.

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
call.copse
call.copse
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

I would go further than the other posters on this thread - sorry, this question and the answer given are just plain WRONG.

See this MSDN blog entry which clearly explains log sizes in different modes:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde/archive/2010/12/29/transaction-log-backup-size-in-bulk-logged-recovery-model.aspx

The LOG FILE BACKUP is certainly likely to be larger.

The LOG FILE (subsequent to backup) is almost certainly SMALLER given that it is not doing point in time restore.

I will accept that the question could have been mangled unintentionally in the editorial prcess or something - but, the fact remains, the correct answer to the question as written is NO.
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Nakul Vachhrajani (4/15/2012)
The way I interpreted the question was:
1. Database is in full-recovery mode
2. User foresees bulk-operations (i.e. to be performed sometime in the future)
3. User therefore changes the database to bulk-logged recovery mode
4. User takes a log backup after changing the recovery model

I was unable to find a step that indicates whether bulk-logged operations were actually peformed. As log as bulk-logged operations are not performed, the log file size would not be impacted if the backup was taken immediately after changing the recovery model.

In my humble opinion, the question leaves room for an interpretation that's different than what the actual intention is.

+1
I'm waiting for Hugo opinion.
Rich Weissler
Rich Weissler
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

call.copse (4/16/2012)The LOG FILE (subsequent to backup) is almost certainly SMALLER given that it is not doing point in time restore.

Hmm. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Even if we are talking about the Log File... not the log backup... unless there was a subsequent Shrink Operation, it certainly will NOT be smaller. There is a fair chance it'll be the same size... and the question asks COULD it be bigger?

It could be the same size, or bigger... but nothing says it HAS to be the same size (unless someone turned off autogrowth.)

For me, I interpreted the question to be able to backup files of the transaction log... so I didn't even start thinking in these terms until I'd seen what you folks had written. ;-)
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

What an horribly wrong question and answer!

I agree with call.copse and with The CosmicTrickster: the question is plainly about the log file not the backup, but the answer is plainly about the backup, not the log file.

Tom

Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

Rich Weissler (4/16/2012)
call.copse (4/16/2012)The LOG FILE (subsequent to backup) is almost certainly SMALLER given that it is not doing point in time restore.

Hmm. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Even if we are talking about the Log File... not the log backup... unless there was a subsequent Shrink Operation, it certainly will NOT be smaller. There is a fair chance it'll be the same size... and the question asks COULD it be bigger?

It could be the same size, or bigger... but nothing says it HAS to be the same size (unless someone turned off autogrowth.)

For me, I interpreted the question to be able to backup files of the transaction log... so I didn't even start thinking in these terms until I'd seen what you folks had written. ;-)

Interesting interpretation: "can the size of the log file at some time be smaller that its size at some earlier time" your interpretation would make sense, but with the wording of the question I would say that that interpretation probably requires treating it as a trick question. I suppose though that we should maybe remember that trick questions do turn up now and again and that some people use over-literal English which gives the impression of a trick question when no trick was intended.

Tom

Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

Thank you for the question. I thought the question was straightforward, but then it's Monday.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.