Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Agent Roles

SQL Server Agent Roles

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Agent Roles

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
zerko
zerko
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)SSC Eights! (958 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Got this right, on the assumption 'SQLAgentAgentRole' was meant to be 'SQLAgentReaderRole', as none of the other answers were correct, and 'SQLAgentAgentRole' doesn't seem to exist.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Indeed, small typo in the correct answer.
However, very nice question, thanks Steve.

(you read that MSDN page one day and you thought: "I shall make 5 QotD of this!"? :-D)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

The typo costed me for real,what is 'SQLAgentAgentRole' thought that was a trick any the only meaningful and true answer was the first one,although it did include all the three roles.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
khelloufsofiane 6183
khelloufsofiane 6183
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)

Hi,

I got ot right, but should replace "SQLAgentAgentRole" with "SQLAgentReaderRole"

Thanks.
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

kapfundestanley (3/22/2012)
The typo costed me for real,what is 'SQLAgentAgentRole' thought that was a trick any the only meaningful and true answer was the first one,although it did include all the three roles.

But the first answer ISN'T true--it's reversed; the SQLAgentReaderRole is a member of the SQLAgentUserRole, given the terminology used here. I don't agree with that terminology, mind you, because it would be far too easy for a newbie to confuse logins that are members of a role with this nebulous idea of roles being members of other roles that the question introduces. I suspect this is why the linked article never uses this terminology!
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

paul.knibbs (3/22/2012)
kapfundestanley (3/22/2012)

But the first answer ISN'T true--it's reversed; the SQLAgentReaderRole is a member of the SQLAgentUserRole, given the terminology used here. I don't agree with that terminology, mind you, because it would be far too easy for a newbie to confuse logins that are members of a role with this nebulous idea of roles being members of other roles that the question introduces. I suspect this is why the linked article never uses this terminology!

Indeed, with simple elimination the correct answer could be deduced. Even if there's a typo in it.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
skanker
skanker
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Thanks for the question. I think even with a small typo the answer was relatively straightforward. Three right in a row - I must be on a roll. w00t
baabhu
baabhu
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Thank you for the easy and straight forward question....
kaspencer
kaspencer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Why is the number of errors in Questions of the Day so great?
How are we supposed to interpret typographical errors?
I have yet to build the stored procedure SP_ESP so I simply did not treat SQLAgentAgentRole as a typographical error - I treated it as a distractor.

A message to Steve Jones: Steve, appoint a named reader of every QotD before questions are used on the site. Otherwise, SACK those question-writers who do not read their submissions properly.

One thing is for sure - all those submitters of duff questions will not be recommended to my clients - no doubt their coding is as error-prone as their questions.

Kenneth Spencer

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
lulu.com/kaspencer
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.