SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot delete filename. There has been a sharing violation.

Cannot delete filename. There has been a sharing violation.

Author
StefanJ
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I get the following message after a file has been locked by a long running job (which fired a DTS package) which I had to stop.

"Cannot delete filename. There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use."

Other than reboot the server, is there any other way of deleting this file?

barsuk
barsuk
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

just a guess. Do you know of any process which might be using this file. Then try to terminate that process and delete the file.

StefanJ
StefanJ
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)SSC-Addicted (461 reputation)

"Do you know of any process which might be using this file"

Yes I have worked out exactly which process caused the problem.

There is a job running which runs a DTS Package. Within this package I use the file object to copy an excel template and then use CreateObject("Excel.Application") to open the copied Excel workbook and manipulate it.

During this process, I reckon Excel asked for user response which as it is invisible caused the job to go into an indefinite wait. I stopped the job.

I have identified the reason why Excel asked for user response and will eliminate the cause, however this could happen again and having to reboot the server is not a very satisfactory solution.

By the way I connect to the Server using Terminal Services.

StefanJ
StefanJ
SSC-Addicted

It happened again, this time I pressed CTRL SHIFT ESC to open the Task Manager and found and killed the hidden Excel process.

StefanJ
StefanJ
SSC-Addicted

It happened again, this time I pressed CTRL SHIFT ESC to open the Task Manager and found and killed the hidden Excel process.

LeeRoy
LeeRoy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Hi Guys, just to update you, finally I found a way to solve it
Do you have error messages?, like :

* Path too long
* Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk
* Cannot delete file: Access is denied
* There has been a sharing violation.
* Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.

For that I tried it with: http://longpathtool.com/
gabrielko_47
gabrielko_47
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

How about this Long Path Tool from pathtoodeep.com? Is it similar? I read a lot of great reviews about it..Any1 have any information. I visited their FAQ section and it's very helpful.;-)
mail.seobd
mail.seobd
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

try Long Path Tool
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.