SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Read Uncommitted, locks, and transactions

Read Uncommitted, locks, and transactions

Author
cengland0
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Cliff Jones (2/13/2012)

Yes, that was the way I always did it also. It was very fast but then you had to deal with all those pesky named constraints and foreign keys.

I agree, nicely worded question and answers that required some thought.

I still do it this way, that's why I asked if there was a better way to do it -- perhaps by using the ALTER VIEW or some other method. So everyone keeps saying that they used to populate tables this way. Which way are you doing it now?

I only do this method for my raw data sources. The presentation layer (Not a real name for a data layer) is what has all the constraints and foreign keys. The raw data comes from multiple sources so no contraints are at that level. If they were, then you'd have to be extremely careful on which tables you load first and too many tables get populated simultaneously to have to worry about another problem like that.
M&M
M&M
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Good question and I am feeling good now as I got it right :-)

M&M
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

I have seen saying that using NOLOCK is good sign of the poor design.

In my current work, we use NOLOCK in all SQL statements, (I know its not good)

from the given scenario can anyone advice is there a way to bypass the NOLOCK usage and still get the same performance?

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
skanker
skanker
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Great questions and really well laid out. I prefer this type of question to one which just lists code.

Thanks.
SQLDCH
SQLDCH
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Great question, thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

Very good question Craig.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

mythilimca89
mythilimca89
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

i can't understand the question
w00t
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

cengland0 (2/14/2012)
Cliff Jones (2/13/2012)

Yes, that was the way I always did it also. It was very fast but then you had to deal with all those pesky named constraints and foreign keys.

I agree, nicely worded question and answers that required some thought.

I still do it this way, that's why I asked if there was a better way to do it -- perhaps by using the ALTER VIEW or some other method. So everyone keeps saying that they used to populate tables this way. Which way are you doing it now?

I only do this method for my raw data sources. The presentation layer (Not a real name for a data layer) is what has all the constraints and foreign keys. The raw data comes from multiple sources so no contraints are at that level. If they were, then you'd have to be extremely careful on which tables you load first and too many tables get populated simultaneously to have to worry about another problem like that.

I suspect it is still a valid and efficient way of doing it in most situations; I just don’t personally have much occasion to have to do this anymore.
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

mythilimca89 (2/14/2012)
i can't understand the question
w00t

I assume you're joking? If not, what in particular can't you understand?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Jagadish Kumar Punnapu
Jagadish Kumar Punnapu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

A very very good question Craig... Thank you...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.