SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

LTRIM,RTRIM

LTRIM,RTRIM

Author
daveriya
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
hi

i have this code in where clause RTRIM(LTRIM(ODER_ID))= ' ',WHAT THis do
toddasd
toddasd
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

It filters out rows with non-blank oder_id values. RTRIM and LTRIM simply remove spaces from a string on the right and left.

As an example;

with SampleTable as (
select ' hi ' as oder_id, 1 as Col2 union all
select ' ', 2 union all
select '', 3
)
select * from SampleTable where rtrim(ltrim(oder_id))=''

SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)

so it gives orderid values with no spaces on left or right ?

or it just says orderid should be blank.plz confirm me
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

daveriya (10/21/2011)
so it gives orderid values with no spaces on left or right ?

or it just says orderid should be blank.plz confirm me

Try experimenting with the sample code which Todd set up for you - you're far more likely to remember the lesson if you get involved.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
daveriya
daveriya
SSC Eights!

i tried it it gives me blank,not the valus,but i think rtrim and ltrim just remove blank spaces ,not the values
vince_sql
vince_sql
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)SSC Veteran (266 reputation)

daveriya (10/21/2011)
hi

It's just removing extra blank spaces, but this is un-necessary as SQL views empty strings as empty strings regardless how many spaces there are.

So if your query is trying to return only empty strings, then you dont need to trim.

The code below highlights this, if SQL considered

'' != ' '

the above to be true, then the penultimate select query would only return 1 row, but it returns 2.

CREATE TABLE trimTest (
value varchar(50)
)
INSERT INTO trimTest
VALUES (''),
(' ')

SELECT *
FROM trimTest

SELECT *
FROM trimTest
WHERE value = ''

SELECT *
FROM trimTest
WHERE LTRIM(RTRIM(value)) = ''

http://sqlvince.blogspot.com/
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)

vince_sql (10/23/2011)
daveriya (10/21/2011)
hi

It's just removing extra blank spaces, but this is un-necessary as SQL views empty strings as empty strings regardless how many spaces there are.

So if your query is trying to return only empty strings, then you dont need to trim.

The code below highlights this, if SQL considered

'' != ' '

the above to be true, then the penultimate select query would only return 1 row, but it returns 2.

CREATE TABLE trimTest (
value varchar(50)
)
INSERT INTO trimTest
VALUES (''),
(' ')

SELECT *
FROM trimTest

SELECT *
FROM trimTest
WHERE value = ''

SELECT *
FROM trimTest
WHERE LTRIM(RTRIM(value)) = ''

AND, Vince's query uses a SARGable WHERE clause, as well!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
ghanshyam.kundu
ghanshyam.kundu
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

jeff can u tell us what is SARGable WHERE clause??
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)SSC Guru (340K reputation)

SARG stands for "Search ARGument" and "SARGable" has come to mean that the search arguments in a WHERE clause, ORDER BY, and/or ON clause are capable of doing an INDEX SEEK if the appropriate index is available and used.

Search arguments that modify a column will only allow for either a table scan (includes Clustered Index Scan) or a non-Clustered Index Scan.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
ghanshyam.kundu
ghanshyam.kundu
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Thanks jeff
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.