SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Table Access Order

Table Access Order

Author
OzYbOi d(-_-)b
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
great question
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)

SQL Kiwi (9/20/2011)
Toreador (9/20/2011)
Learned something new - not sure how useful it is to know, but these things are always interesting Smile

It depends. The average DBA can get by perfectly well with just a basic understanding of execution plans.

But who wants to be average?

Who works hard enough to be exceptional?

Enough said Hehe.
CoolCodeShare
CoolCodeShare
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Nice question and learnt something!
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Excellent question, thanks!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Toreador
Toreador
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

SQL Kiwi (9/20/2011)
[quote]But who wants to be average?

I dream of being average, but have quite a way to go still to achieve it :-)
Mattrick
Mattrick
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)

Great question, Paul. It is always a good thing to know what is going on under the hood.

Thanks,

Matt
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thank you for such an amazing question, Paul.
I got it right because I always remember reading that the "top (outer) input" is read first and then it goes look for matches in the "bottom (inner) input". Even the Nest Loops operator works this way, right?

I just started reading the excellent Execution Plan book from Grant Fritchey.
It was a nice timing for me. Smile

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

codebyo (9/22/2011)
I got it right because I always remember reading that the "top (outer) input" is read first and then it goes look for matches in the "bottom (inner) input". Even the Nest Loops operator works this way, right?

Right. :-)

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/paul_white/archive/2010/08/05/iterators-query-plans-and-why-they-run-backwards.aspx

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

I have been following your blog for some time now but I hadn't found that article before. I have much to learn and I appreciate those links.

Can I print that article for my personal use and to show it to my workmates?

I'm trying to help them understand the basics of the execution plans and they get confused about the order of what's happening and why. I'm performing basic training about this subject to help them improve their queries which are very slow.

Today I was confronted with an old code that joined 20 tables and then had a cursor to manage that. We successfully replace that code and improved what was once running in almost 10 minutes to 50 seconds. It still isn't optimized enough but we'll soon get there.

Thank you for the amazing articles you post.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

codebyo (9/23/2011)

I have been following your blog for some time now but I hadn't found that article before. I have much to learn and I appreciate those links. Can I print that article for my personal use and to show it to my workmates?

Well thanks, I wondered who the other reader was :-)

Of course you may print it and show it around, I only object when people copy my work and attempt to pass it off as their own (sadly this does happen).

Adam (Machanic) would no doubt want me to encourage you to share a link to SQLblog instead (traffic = advertising = pays the hosting bills) but I understand that is not always possible.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.