SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database Backup Issue

Database Backup Issue

Author
Ronnie Jones
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello All,

I'm running SQL 2008 R2. I have an intermediate issue with my backup for this one database. Some days the backup completes successfully with no problem and other days - could be 3 or 4 in a row - the backup fails with the following error:

Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Cannot open backup device 'F:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\SMS.BAK'. Operating system error 32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.). [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3201) BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013). The step failed.

The command used to backup the database is:

BACKUP DATABASE [SMS] TO DISK = N'F:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\SMS.BAK' WITH NOFORMAT, INIT, NAME = N'SMS- Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10
GO

Is there any way to determine what that process is that is preventing the backup from occurring? Or are there any suggestions on how I can ensure that the backup device isn't causing an issue with the backup?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ronnie
Ray Mond
Ray Mond
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

You could use Process Explorer from Sysinternals to find out which application is using that backup file. Or you could use the command line application 'handle.exe' (also from Sysinternals).

Ray Mond
Get a SQL Size 2.0 single-instance license for FREE
Claim one here!
Ronnie Jones
Ronnie Jones
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)SSChasing Mays (643 reputation)

Thanks Ray!
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)

do you have any Windows server level backup jobs running at all (BackupExec, etc)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Ronnie Jones
Ronnie Jones
SSChasing Mays

Yes, there is a system level backup but I'm not sure what time it starts. I'll have to check on that. But we're not running any agents that backup the hot .mdf file which means that the database and log files should be skipped. Unless you're saying that I wouldn't be able to write to the backup folder. I know that the .bak file does get backed up by the system backup.

I'll verify that info.
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)SSC Guru (56K reputation)

Ronnie Jones (8/22/2011)
Yes, there is a system level backup but I'm not sure what time it starts. I'll have to check on that. But we're not running any agents that backup the hot .mdf file which means that the database and log files should be skipped. Unless you're saying that I wouldn't be able to write to the backup folder. I know that the .bak file does get backed up by the system backup.

I'll verify that info.

The error defines it cannot open the sql server backup file, possibly because the system level backup has a handle on the file to back it up to tape

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Chuck Hottle
Chuck Hottle
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

We have this issue because of Commvault system backups that run at odd times. I added 2-3 retries to the backup job step with 15-30 minute retry increments. That resolved a lot of the failures.
Ronnie Jones
Ronnie Jones
SSChasing Mays

Thanks Chuck! I never thought about that. I'll give that a try and let you know.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

You are a hairball. All you've done is make an illegal copy of Microsoft Documentation at the following URL.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207187

I wonder how your sponsors will feel about finding out that you're nothing but a knock-off artist.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
arnipetursson
arnipetursson
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

We had this issue on old backup processes due to system backups.

The simple fix was to back up to a file name with a date and timestamp.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.