SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS - Execute Package Task

SSIS - Execute Package Task

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Can someone write a basic article that explains how the Execute Package is used to run a child package or string together multiple packages in SSIS. Please include screen shots of the configuration and explain the options that are possible.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
arapaima_uk
arapaima_uk
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I can take this topic.
Raunak Jhawar
Raunak Jhawar
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Is this article live on SSC?

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
arapaima_uk
arapaima_uk
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

Well, the pinned post said the topic would be assigned to me, which never happened.

Do you have a particular problem with the exec package task I can help with? If so, suggest raising in the main forum and posting a link here.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)

Sorry, SQLSophist, this slipped through the cracks.

Please take it if you want.

How about two child packages that do
- load a simple file (assume an Excel file, simple format, same name, just a data transform load)
- send an email that a load was completed.

Those could be tasks, but for the sake of this article, make them separate packages. Then show a parent package that executes these two in that order. Explain how any parameters/configs with the child execution are handled. If you want, include a "we only execute #2 if #1 succeeds"

arapaima_uk
arapaima_uk
SSC-Enthusiastic

OK, great. I've been away watching cricket since your post, but back in the "SQL Saddle" now.

Will put something together this week.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

No hurry. We're 4-6 weeks out on publishing now.

arapaima_uk
arapaima_uk
SSC-Enthusiastic

Fine, noted.
Michael Williams
Michael Williams
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)

If you're still looking for articles for this topic, I'd like to take a stab at it. Can you assign this to me?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

tychopotts - Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:21 AM
If you're still looking for articles for this topic, I'd like to take a stab at it. Can you assign this to me?

Take it. I don't see one in the list.

Michael Williams
Michael Williams
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)

Thanks for the opportunity. I've submitted my draft for review.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.