Not a Mainframer but have been around the block so many times that I lost track.
Anyway the way I see it; Cloud service is just another type of outsourcing. Remember that? Yes lets outsource IT as it is much cheaper until you got a $1,500.00 bill for adding a printer to your network. I see the cloud service as the same thing.
I didn't know of any IT person who likes the cloud service for data/database and I haven't lost a debet yet on this topic.
So when someone tells you how good this would be make sure you ask these questions first. The answers will surpise you.
1) How is your data protected?
2) Who 'really' has access to your data from an IT level and are they going to care about your problem like you very on DBA would?
3) What if you want all your data back, how much is that? (LOL, that's a funny one)
4) If the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, IRS, etc. want to seize data that is stored on the same SAN as your data (in the cloud) do you loose your access to your data too? (Yes, they can take (and/or copy) the whole thing for days/weeks and there is nothing you can do about that!)
5) If the cloud provider is hacked/compromised will they pick up the tab for the lawsuit you are now facing from your customers?
Wow! Not alot of questions but very scary ones
But heck 'Go further and Cloud' you will be calling for a DBA to help once it starts to rain. Just hope the lighting doesn't get you.