Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

how to Create index online?

how to Create index online?

Author
anzz
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Below is the script for creating index and how can I change the script to create index onlie?

what are benfits and disadvangates of online and offile?

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [_dta_index_dClientCode_16_437576597__K7_K3_1] ON [dbo].[dClientCode]
(
[ClientGenericId] ASC,
[Code] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [ClientCodeId]) WITH (SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF) ON [Data_Data]
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

ONLINE = didn't ring a bell?

Just a FYI, dta is a bad tool to do performance tuning. This is what I do :

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/
anzz
anzz
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)

How to modify the above script for creating index online.
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

What didn't you understand in my previous post?

What part of ONLINE = SOMETHING OTHER THAN OFF GOES HERE are you having troubles with?
Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan
Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (502 reputation)

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [_dta_index_dClientCode_16_437576597__K7_K3_1] ON [dbo].[dClientCode]
(
[ClientGenericId] ASC,
[Code] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [ClientCodeId]) WITH (SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = ON) ON [Data_Data]

Use online= off recommended,some indexes will not create with online option ON

Regards,
Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
www.aureus-salah.com
tlunsf
tlunsf
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Ninja's_RGR'us (5/26/2011)

What part of ONLINE = SOMETHING OTHER THAN OFF GOES HERE are you having troubles with?

It is comments like this that makes me shy away from this site. It is completely unnecessary. For those who care to know a more appropriate response, something this would have been more effective:

"Take a closer look at my previous comments in regard to ONLINE. If you still don't understand, then please provide very specific details about what you don't understand, and I'll try to help."
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

tlunsf (3/28/2014)
Ninja's_RGR'us (5/26/2011)

It is comments like this that makes me shy away from this site. It is completely unnecessary. For those who care to know a more appropriate response, something this would have been more effective:

"Take a closer look at my previous comments in regard to ONLINE. If you still don't understand, then please provide very specific details about what you don't understand, and I'll try to help."

Good point!
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Apologies and hope things are working for you.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

Ranzz (5/26/2011)
Below is the script for creating index and how can I change the script to create index onlie?

what are benfits and disadvangates of online and offile?

(
[ClientGenericId] ASC,
[Code] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [ClientCodeId]) WITH (SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF) ON [Data_Data]

An online index (build) allows access / modification of the data while the index maintenance operations take place. It is (correct me if I'm wrong) an Enterprise feature. To create an online index, set the ONLINE flag to ONLINE = ON.

I cannot think of any disadvantages but the price of the Enterprise edition Cool
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Yes, Enterprise Edition only

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx#Scalability

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.