SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

datename-datepart weirdness

datename-datepart weirdness

Author
ursus-129623
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

I'm currently playing with a query that needs to return all the appointments for a physician three business days ahead of their appointments. I think I can deal with the logic, but when I started playing with the "pretty-report-that-management-can-read" bit, I ran into an odd behavior when using datepart and datename.

I won't bore you with the whole thing, but if I enter the query:

select @@datefirst as 'Datefirst',datename(dw,@@datefirst) as 'WD Name'
,datename(dw,datepart(d,@@datefirst)) as 'DP WD Name'

this is the result I get:

Datefist WD Name DP WD Name

7 Monday Tuesday

If I read BOL correctly, the results should be 7 (default), Sunday, Sunday, right? Why the discrepancy? I'm sure it's a stupid oversight on my part, but I'd like your help in figuring this out before I start calling patients to remind them of their Sunday appointments.

Frank Kalis
Frank Kalis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Look at the explanation of DATENAME. As you are supplying @@datefirst as your date, SQL Server assumes that you are looking for the values of day 7 according to SQL Server date arithmetic, which is 08/01/1900

select
dateadd(dd,7,0) as 'Datefirst'
, datename(dw,7) as 'WD Name'
, datename(dw,datepart(d,7)) as 'DP WD Name'

Datefirst WD Name DP WD Name
------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------
1900-01-08 00:00:00.000 Montag Dienstag

(1 row(s) affected)

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
ursus-129623
ursus-129623
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

True enough, but that's not what I'm asking. (My fault, I should have been clearer).

The question is: why does datename(dw,datepart(d,7)) returns a value of one day more than datename(dw,7)?

maraclec
maraclec
Old Hand
Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)

The reason for the difference is this:

Datename and Datepart are require dates, in this case they are being given integers, which are being converted to dates.

7 is converted to 1900-01-08 00:00:00.000 (this happens to be a Monday), if you then take the datepart (day) of that its 8. 8 is converted to 1900-01-09 00:00:00.000, which happens to be a Tuesday.

Here is some code to show what I am saying.

declare @dtmTest datetime
declare @dtmTest2 datetime
set @dtmTest = 7
set @dtmTest2 = datepart(d, @dtmTest)

select @dtmTest, @dtmTest2, datename(dw, @dtmTest), datepart(d, @dtmTest), datename(dw, @dtmTest2)

You will get :

--------------------------- --------------------------- ------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
1900-01-08 00:00:00.000 1900-01-09 00:00:00.000 Monday 8 Tuesday

(1 row(s) affected)

I hope this helps,

Chuck

ursus-129623
ursus-129623
SSC Rookie

I think I get it now. Thanks.
Frank Kalis
Frank Kalis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

Sorry, for being late on this (was waiting for a friend to explain this to me. You know who you are! )

The reason is fairly simple:
There are no 0st days in a month

SELECT CAST(0 AS datetime)

------------------------------------------------------
1900-01-01 00:00:00.000

(1 row(s) affected)

That's the first (day one, not zero). So DATEPART(d,7) = 8 and DATEPART(d,8) = 9...

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.