Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Point-in-time restore

Point-in-time restore

Author
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Point-in-time restore
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Good one! I had to refer BOL for this one because we don't use Bulk-logged mode, but it was fun learning something new today. Thank-you!

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
M&M
M&M
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

I messed up. Very good question.

M&M
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Great question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Andrew Watson-478275
Andrew Watson-478275
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Nakul Vachhrajani (2/15/2011)
I had to refer BOL for this one because we don't use Bulk-logged mode.

Sadly, my BOL diving didn't go deep enough. I got to here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275(SQL.100).aspx, which states twice that it's not supported - you have to go a bit further to find where it says that it is.
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Having not used Bulk options, I managed to do enough digging to find out it was a conditional yes, just chose the wrong one. Thought you would be okay as long as there was no bulk operations since last full backup.

I guess not Ermm

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

DugyC (2/16/2011)
Having not used Bulk options, I managed to do enough digging to find out it was a conditional yes, just chose the wrong one. Thought you would be okay as long as there was no bulk operations since last full backup.

I guess not Ermm

You would indeed be ok, but the answer said "Yes, but only if.." which I intended to mean that if there had been no bulk operations since the last full backup you would be ok, but otherwise not.

I was thinking of a situation where you might have multiple log backups since the last full backup, several of which might contain bulk operations. As long as the log backup you want to restore to a point in time with doesn't have any, you can restore to that particular point in time. Of course, if none of them have any bulk operations in them you can use any of them to restore to a point in time.

I apologise for any confusion caused - but as you can imagine, wording something to be completely unambiguous is not as easy as it seems!

Thanks for the feedback

Duncan
palotaiarpad
palotaiarpad
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

It's a good question, but maybe next time you should take a notice: using Server 2005 and above.
Surii
Surii
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)Say Hey Kid (697 reputation)

Nice question!! I had to search for the correct answer.
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame

palotaiarpad (2/16/2011)
It's a good question, but maybe next time you should take a notice: using Server 2005 and above.

The question is valid equally for SQL Server 2000/2005/2008. I'm not sure if the exact STOPAT syntax was available in SQL Server 7 (point-in-time recovery was, so I assume yes?), but in any case there was no BULK_LOGGED recovery model as such. Instead there was the db option "select into/bulkcopy" which could be set to "ON/TRUE" to achieve the same effect. However, since the question refered to bulk-logged and recovery models it could be assumed that it related to SQL 2000 and later.

Cheers,

Duncan
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.