SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stairway to Server-side Tracing - Step 6: How to Import Trace Data

Stairway to Server-side Tracing - Step 6: How to Import Trace Data

Author
Dan Guzman-481633
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to Server-side Tracing - Step 6: How to Import Trace Data
B's-Data
B's-Data
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)SSC Veteran (298 reputation)

I have been usinging the AdHoc trace file for some time now. I typically save the trace files to a network share location for retention. The location is backed up to tape regularly. Recently I have attempted to review the files using the fn_trace_gettable and have found that regarding my SQL 2008 files, I cannot access the files and receive an error "either does not exist or is not a recognizable trace file. Or there was an error opening the file". I played with my trace and did find that if I saved the file to the local drive I don't encounter any problems. I also found that I have absolutely no problems using SQL 2005 and the fileshare location.
Is there possibly a new bug regarding this matter? I thought this used to work with SQL 2008 but I'm not 100% sure I have attempted to view the log file since I have applied SP2.
Any ideas? It's not very practical to save the files to a local drive as it will continue to rollover and take up drive space and It is not secure to save this information on the server.
Dan Guzman-481633
Dan Guzman-481633
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

You should be able to select from a remote trace file with fn_trace_gettable using a UNC path without problems. I just ran a cursory test and had no problems under SQL 2008 SP2. Is the error intermittent?
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

This has to be the best article I've read about traces ever.
Please keep them coming with real world examples like the one from Listing 5 and 6.
Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
dcaughill
dcaughill
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

I received the same error in a test environment where I was running SSMS 2008 on my local box but connected remotely to a SQL Server 2005 instance. I believe something changed in the .trc formatting from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2, but I'm not clear yet on exactly what it was. If anyone has information on the details of those changes, I'm very curious.

And I agree with codebyo - great series!!

------------------------
David Caughill
Production DBA
Grad Student
Coffee Enthusiast
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.