SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stairway to SQL Server Indexes: Step 1, Introduction to Indexes

Stairway to SQL Server Indexes: Step 1, Introduction to Indexes

Author
David Durant
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SQL Server Indexes: Step 1, Introduction to Indexes
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Great article...Well written.

Gary Noter
Gary Noter
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

Well written; excellent analogies.

I've known of indexes for quite some time (nearly 20 years; oh I'm getting old[er]!) and have implemented and used them countless times.

I'm confident I implement indexes reasonable enough (:WhistlingSmile, though will definitely benefit becoming more technically knowledgeable of them.

Starting at Level 1 and moving forward, all the while with the mindset I'm 'learning' something new, will reintro and expand my skill set on the topic.

Thx.
genger_stiedle
genger_stiedle
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Thank you for your article.
I would appreciate some information on how to choose a clustered index and constraints.

I have read articles about hotspots and not choosing a incrementing id and then other articles that say this was meant for 6.5. So please explain :-) I really don't have to deal with transactional data even for my data tables so I'm not sure that hotspots are something I need to worry about.

I created a clustered index on the id and set is as my pk and a non clustered unique constraint on several columns that by definition have to be unique. I have read some things by Celko that I believe says incrementing fields are extraneous and he would prefer just using the compound pk. But, I like my id for foreign keys.

I also read that size matters and if it's a small table a full table scan takes place anyway. My look up tables are small but my data tables house millions of records.
a.rajmane
a.rajmane
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)

gr8, well written

www.sqlsuperfast.com
jankhana
jankhana
Old Hand
Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)

Great article. Very apt :-) Waiting for the other all sequences :-)
Slick84
Slick84
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Thanks, I think this is the first index article genuinely written with a n00b in mind.

I'm waiting for your next StairWay. Any idea when we should expect that?

--
Hehe
Gary Noter
Gary Noter
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

Do a search on SqlServerCentral for:
Stairway to SQL Server Indexes

There seem to be 7 Steps so far.

Also, consider checking out this entire "Stairway" series at:

Stairway Series
(http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway)
Slick84
Slick84
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Oh nice! Thanks for the link.

--
Hehe
David Durant
David Durant
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (536 reputation)

Gary,

There will be 15 levels (articles) in the indexing Stairway. I have delivered all 15 to the editor, Kalen Delaney, and I believe she has passed them all on to Redgate. There is always some delay while Redgate proof reads, adds graphics etc. But, I would expect to seem them all on the Stairway soon.

Dave Durant,
Author.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.