SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Blocked Processes

Blocked Processes

Author
sudhakara
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Am Getting alert message from third party monitoring tool saying that blocked process reaches 99% on the ms sql server 2005. but there is no blocking on the server and found there too many sessions (>200) on the suspended status with awaiting command mode. Only few shared locks are there for each session.

Can any one tell me how to find the blocking process percentage and give me link where i can find more about that ?

Thanks in Advance.
Adiga
Adiga
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I am not sure how the monitoring tool that you are using the Blocking Process %. You may query sysprocesses, sys.dm_exec_requests to find more information about the blocking processes. This article is also a good read.

Pradeep Adiga
Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
Twitter: @pradeepadiga
sudhakara
sudhakara
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Adiga (1/22/2011)
I am not sure how the monitoring tool that you are using the Blocking Process %. You may query sysprocesses, sys.dm_exec_requests to find more information about the blocking processes. This article is also a good read.

Thanks for your reply.

My guess is it showing the lock manager occupied percentage. Could you share the document or guide me how to view the lock manager process on sql server 2005 ?
Adiga
Adiga
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

You can make use of sys.dm_tran_locks DMV to get that information. Here is an example.

Pradeep Adiga
Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
Twitter: @pradeepadiga
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

sudhakara (1/22/2011)
Hi,

Am Getting alert message from third party monitoring tool saying that blocked process reaches 99% on the ms sql server 2005. but there is no blocking on the server and found there too many sessions (>200) on the suspended status with awaiting command mode. Only few shared locks are there for each session.

Can any one tell me how to find the blocking process percentage and give me link where i can find more about that ?

Thanks in Advance.

1) why is 200 spids waiting for commands "too many"?

2) blocked process percentage is pretty useless as a metric IMHO. use sp_whoisactive to find live blocking and start fixing the causes.

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
ngreene
ngreene
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

This article may be helpful for your problem.

http://sqlprosperity.com/post/SQL-Server-quasi-real-time-performance-monitoring

It has helped me a lot to identify what processes are causing blocks without having to be on the server querying it at the time of the block. Take a look and hopefully it is helpful.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

ngreene (2/5/2014)

It has helped me a lot to identify what processes are causing blocks without having to be on the server querying it at the time of the block. Take a look and hopefully it is helpful.

This thread was from January 2011

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)

SQLRNNR (2/5/2014)
ngreene (2/5/2014)

This thread was from January 2011

Just in time, then. :-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.