SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Feedback for IT

Feedback for IT

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Feedback for IT

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice hot button Steve. There needs to be some level of technical triage to scope out any actionable bugs. You wouldn't want your development and project management staff deluged with a bug tracking system that could be full of false positives or complaints about non-actionable items for IT.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)SSC Guru (116K reputation)

So how could you let IT know? You could call customer service, but I have a hard time thinking that a low-wage CS person would pass this along to the IT group.

I've recently had to work with an airline on a similar problem recently and there's not much difference between the low-wage CS person and the low-wage "third party" developer sitting in the same bloody cubicle which is why the error happened in the first place. ;-) Send an email and hope everyone does their job. It's a whole lot less frustrating that way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Completing the feedback loop is probably one of the most difficult challenges for any business, business unit, or even local department. I used to work in a very small company where closing the loop meant calling one of the other 25 or 30 people in the entire company, and yet there were gaps in communication everywhere. Maybe this is the next big thing for IT to tackle, making sure all the mechanisms are in place to automate, or encourage this as much as possible.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)SSC Guru (82K reputation)

There might be low level developers, but if they triaged reports of bugs, at least it would be captured somewhere. I know in a company that employed 200 people that it might be better to have a junior dev picking through bugs for a few minutes every day than having large customers yelling at salespeople.

Mike Dougherty-384281
Mike Dougherty-384281
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (554 reputation)

I think it's also important that developers build baseline diagnostic record into the app. We generally need some way to prove the code during development anyway, but those checkpoints should be built with the intention of being left in place for gathering statistics during normal operation. Then when issues of scale or new usage patterns develop there is a baseline from which to compare the new behavior. It's difficult to assess user complaints of "slowness" if operations complete in under 2 seconds - but if normal operation before some critical event was 0.25 seconds then its clear that an 8x lag is worthy of investigation.

I had a backup job recording start/stop/size with each nightly operation on 15 remote locations. When some of the backups were not complete by the start of the day, I checked the logs: throughput was down to 20% of normal. That was enough clue to look for what was consuming bandwidth overnight. 'Found two machines inside our network had become zombies/botted. I would not have even known to look for that if I hadn't been keeping logs/baseline to see the change.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Good point, Mike. We need to have instrumentation embedded, and it needs to work. I used to complain about performance monitor dropping events. We need this overhead to be in place and accurate, especially under load, to determine what is happening.

Good logging and tracking is important, and tracking exceptions, like unexpected long processing times, is a great way to find issues.

Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

You might have thought that SmartAssembly, described here http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/.net-tools/smartassembly-eating-our-own-dogfood/ by Simple-Talk's editor, is a bit peripheral as it is designed mainly for .NET applications, but if you pore through the manual, you'll see that you can use it in an application in such a way that you can get the message right through to the devs (via an internet or email connection). It can be used for any error, even if it doesn't trigger an exception, and you can add the facility to let the operator or user provide as much explanation as they want, as well as the details, specific to the application, of what was actually going on. This can, of course, include the SQL. I can tell you that, when in a .net-based database application, smartAssembly can provide some very, very revealing information that can be embarassing for the devs, but which enables them to do the fix very quickly.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
bwillsie-842793
bwillsie-842793
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)

I like the "Click here if you have a problem" button right on the user interface screen. No doubt you will get a bunch of crap in a public environment, but if you put in some filtering it can be screened out.

Having run a Customer Service center for a small manufacturer, I now go out of my way to give feedback to companies- both good and bad.

I am amazed at the number of employees that do care, but don't know how or who to pass issues along to in their organization.
deanroush
deanroush
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)SSC Journeyman (86 reputation)

I actually had a menu choice on my desktop app's help menu that would allow users to send messages directly to the software developers. After two years of no messages, I removed the feature.

Steve is right about logging. We log everything the users do in an app to a table and then analyze it periodically to see what they are doing most/least frequently, warnings, errors, etc. to see where improvements are indicated.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.