SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Coalesce on inner queries

Coalesce on inner queries

Author
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

I have a where condition like

where Fk_Event in
(COALESCE((select fk_event from workscope_event where Fk_user=@userId),Fk_Event)))

actually my requirement is ..if the user is having event it should get only those events other wise all the events.

here the problem is i may get more than one fk_event from inner query , please tell me how can i solve this...Please try to avoid if else statements coz already my query is depending on so many conditions.

/********************************************************
Technology is just a tool,in terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them,the teacher is the most important.
********************************************************/
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)

Please post table definitions, sample data and desired output. Read this to see the best way to post this to get quick responses.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

If may also be worth reading http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/03/19/catch-all-queries/ and http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/09/15/multiple-execution-paths/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Raghunath Garlapati
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Hi,

I have a table workscope_event where i will be having event id and user id mappings,

say for user id --> 1 mapped to events 1,2,3 where i have total 10 events

now i need a query such that if user with Id 1 login to the system it should show only 1,2,3 events but if user with other id logs into the system it shud give all the 10 events.

so as i told from workscope_events i will get mappings of user and event where i need to filter from event table with those events of workwscope_events depending on user login.

Technology is just a tool,in terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them,the teacher is the most important.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)SSC Guru (113K reputation)

I'm assuming you didn't read that article. Table definitions, sample data and desired output please.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Raghunath Garlapati
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic

k my tables are

package_event (Id int,name nvarchar(50),fk_event int)
workscope_event (fk_user int,fk_event int)

data : Package_Event

Fk_Package, Fk_Event
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
6 1

data : workscope_event

Fk_User, Fk_Event
1 1
1 2
1 3

now if the user 1 logs in then the out put should be

Fk_Event , Fk_Package
1 1
2 2
3 3

for other users all the events and their packages should come.

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

I'm assuming you didn't read that article.

Ok, so based on that sample data, what do you want the query to return. (actual values please, not a description)

Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.