Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

CheckDB

CheckDB

Author
Sankar Reddy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)SSC-Addicted (400 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item CheckDB

Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/
ChiragNS
ChiragNS
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

The options you mentioned are not clear.

It will fail when trying to run against tempdb database.
It will fail when trying to run against the master database

DBCC CheckDB does not "fail" while running against master or tempdb databases.

"Keep Trying"
Dietmar Weickert
Dietmar Weickert
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

It is comprehensive and validates the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database including tables, indexes, indexed views & statistics.

What's wrong with this statement?

Best regards,
Dietmar Weickert.
Gianluca Sartori
Gianluca Sartori
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

DBCC CHECKDB runs againt master and tempdb with no errors. I wouldn't say it fails, I would say it doesn't behave exactly as you expect.

--Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Bill Mell
Bill Mell
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)SSChasing Mays (611 reputation)

DBCC CHECKDB does NOT fail when run against tempdb.
Rob Goddard
Rob Goddard
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

Dietmar Weickert (8/17/2009)
It is comprehensive and validates the logical and physical integrity of all the objects in the specified database including tables, indexes, indexed views & statistics.

What's wrong with this statement?

Ditto...

I picked this option and it's the only reason I was wrong, be nice to know why that particular option is incorrect (I'm assuming it's the stats, but can't confirm that in BOL anywhere).

For the few mentioning that DBCC CHECKDB does not fail on master or tempdb, you're right, but the way I read the question, it's not stating otherwise is it?

--------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
jjtetzlo
jjtetzlo
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

If only 2% of people are getting this correct, it's a sign of a badly written question.

- Jeff
Chad Crawford
 Chad Crawford
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

I picked this option and it's the only reason I was wrong, be nice to know why that particular option is incorrect (I'm assuming it's the stats, but can't confirm that in BOL anywhere).

Same here - that is the only option I got wrong. I did find these links about stats after answering the QOD: Bug #: 443756, Bug 158623. They are both for 2K5, but probably still valid.
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

So what kind of an error message does the author recieve when running CHECKDB agains the tempdb? I am not seeing it.
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

I firmly believe the author of this question did NOT perform due diligence when selecting possible answers.

The original statement
Check all that apply that are true about
In the case of the master and temp db the question statement should have been: Check all that may apply and are true about

From Books On Line
DBCC CHECKDB

Runs DBCC CHECKALLOC on the database.
Runs DBCC CHECKTABLE on every table and view in the database.
Runs DBCC CHECKCATALOG on the database

From DBCC CHECKALLOC.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258809(SQL.80).aspx

Note NOINDEX is maintained for backward compatibility only. All indexes are checked when executing DBCC CHECKALLOC.

So in effect using DBCC CHECKDB which in turn invokes DBCC CHECLALLOC the correct answer is: does check all indexes

On the last possible answer also see:
CHECK STATISTICS
http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=158623

(Bold facing entered by myself to drive home my arguement)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.