SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transactions

Transactions

Author
Sriram-288748
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transactions

Sriram
michael.kaufmann
michael.kaufmann
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Aha--the trick is to run the second part in another query window ... not the same one (in which case all 3 records will be returned).
Should have followed the instructions . . . ;-)

Thanks for the lesson.
Ben Leighton
Ben Leighton
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)Ten Centuries (1,000 reputation)

this question is flawed...

if the SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT is set to on for the database you are using then the query will return 1 and 2...

I'm being picky here I admit...
dmoldovan
dmoldovan
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

If you query sys.dm_tran_locks you'll see an IX lock taken on the test_tran table.
If you run in the second window SELECT col1 FROM test_tran WHERE col1 = 1 (or 2) the query will work.
StarNamer
StarNamer
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Ben Leighton (3/19/2009)

if the SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT is set to on for the database you are using then the query will return 1 and 2...

I decided it should be 1 & 2 and gave that answer, then tested it in my scratch database and, of course, got 1 & 2 returned in the second window.

QotD didn't state that database should have READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT set to OFF and my scratch database still had it set to ON from tests done when responding to a QotD a few weeks back! :-D

Of course, since the scratch database rarely had any extended transactions in it, the difference isn't often noticed.

Derek
dmoldovan
dmoldovan
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Since the question didn't mention any details about the isolation level, I assumed that it is the default READ COMMITTED...
Sriram-288748
Sriram-288748
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Expected READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT to be set to OFF, thought will remain default atleast for test db's ...

Sriram
Chris Harshman
Chris Harshman
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Ben Leighton (3/19/2009)

I don't think you're being picky at all, I'm sure many people are using row versioning with the READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON setting.
Sugesh Kumar
Sugesh Kumar
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

This was really a very good question. We had the same problem in the past where a developer had a transaction open and we went into facing slowness in the query. Nice Question.

Cheers,
Sugeshkumar Rajendran
SQL Server MVP
http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com
Always Learning
Always Learning
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Interestingly, running it in my test database it returned in a single query window. Regardless of how it is run, all as a single query, each separate, in different query windows, etc. The result is the same.

Col1

It seems the question of the day has some shortcomings.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.