SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Creepiness of AI

The Creepiness of AI

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)SSC Guru (689K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Creepiness of AI

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
There are legal ramifications too. If an AI Bot talks someone into an inappropriate purchase that breaches laws and regulations who is liable? Can the company making the sale claim that no-one is culpable?

Read "Sea of Rust" by Robert Cargyle.

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
Andy Robertson
Andy Robertson
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."
Big tech is watching over you... but who is watching over big tech?
dsor
dsor
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)SSChasing Mays (602 reputation)

David.Poole - Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:13 AM
There are legal ramifications too. If an AI Bot talks someone into an inappropriate purchase that breaches laws and regulations who is liable? Can the company making the sale claim that no-one is culpable?

Read "Sea of Rust" by Robert Cargyle.

I see no reason for why that would happen. Seems much more likely that the last known operator is held responsible, much like any other automated software we've had in the past

amir.kachlon
amir.kachlon
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Thanks for sharing, such a mind opening post Smile
call.copse
call.copse
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

I'm less worried about how creepy they appear than how easily AI may be used to manipulate us, as we are easily manipulated creatures:
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/robot-manipulates-humans-creepy-new-experiment-should-we-be-worried-ncna900361
Andy Robertson
Andy Robertson
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

call.copse - Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:11 AM
I'm less worried about how creepy they appear than how easily AI may be used to manipulate us, as we are easily manipulated creatures:
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/robot-manipulates-humans-creepy-new-experiment-should-we-be-worried-ncna900361

The question is what do we get out of these things? Where is the benefit to people? I suppose they could help alleviate loneliness and provide companionship but ultimately isn't that just a replacement for other people?
So what is the point of AI if not to squeeze dollars out of people?

Bob Razumich
Bob Razumich
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

"...there is a downside. Could you imagine artificial personas used in telephone scams or phishing situations? A help desk knowing some information and then asking for verification of other data?"

I've already received calls like this on my phone. The first time caught me by surprise, because initially the voice seemed to be interacting as if it were human. It was only when the voice response (AI?) system got a response from me that resulted in an odd statement from the "caller" that I figured out it was fake. So, for my money, the Google Call example is already going on for groups trying to make a fast buck on the unsuspecting.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)SSC Guru (123K reputation)

There are clues that you're speaking with an AI version of a customer support agent: they speak clearly, are patient, and don't put you on hold.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Stephen Scott
Stephen Scott
Old Hand
Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)Old Hand (393 reputation)

Turns out DARPA is already working on the problem! AI to detect and spoof AI - machines fighting machines. They fight for us, they fight against us. Very matrix-esque.
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/pentagon-approaches-massive-new-ai-machine-learning-breakthrough

What does it all mean? Well, I think it means we will be living in a future where multi level verification will be the norm. Use of encryption will be much greater, and we'll sure need to take more things with a grain of salt. It means we're is a gold rush to gather every bit of data about people - not just their online presence. All of this data is what will drive AI to be able to make the fake videos, make the fake phone calls, all to spoof humans. It means we should be regulating this stuff now, which Microsoft (and others) are already doing.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/07/13/facial-recognition-technology-the-need-for-public-regulation-and-corporate-responsibility/

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.