SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Doing the Right Thing

Doing the Right Thing

Author
Kathi Kellenberger
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Doing the Right Thing

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
Simple-Talk Editor
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)

Great article and thoughts, Kathi.

One time after making a really big goof, I thought I was going to catch no end of being yelled at. Still, it was important that my boss know the mistake I made and what I was doing to fix it so that he wouldn't also get into trouble. To make a much longer story shorter, my boss liked my plan for fixing the problem I created but I continued to apologize. He told me to stop and said "Look... if you never make a mistake, it means that I'm not pushing you hard enough. You've done well in the past and I wondered when you'd finally make a mistake. Do you need any help fixing it?"

I was gob smacked at his understanding.

That should also be a lesson to some bosses especially if they have folks "living on the edge" for getting things done as fast as possible. It's an old Navy saying... Don't let one "aw-shit" wipe out a thousand "atta-boys". Embrace the absolute honesty and integrity of the person who just put their head on the proverbial chopping block for you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 318 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Kathi Kellenberger
Kathi Kellenberger
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Exactly!

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
Simple-Talk Editor
jay-h
jay-h
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Interesting take on the walkway discussion.

I remember reading about a new campus which intentionally did not create walkways at first. They let the travel paths grow dynamically, and eventually built walkways along the naturally chosen paths.

The small post office in my town decided (for some odd reason) that the path people took from the parking lot to the door was verbotten. They even put up a small link fence to force people to walk an 'unnatural' way. After a couple of years, the fence came down.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Geoff.Sturdy
Geoff.Sturdy
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

So what did I learn today from this post ? absolutely nothing about SQL server , and it that doesn't take a preacher to preach .
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)SSC Guru (936K reputation)

Geoff.Sturdy - Monday, January 28, 2019 8:21 AM
So what did I learn today from this post ? absolutely nothing about SQL server , and it that doesn't take a preacher to preach .

Funny... looking back at your posts, I don't see much that teaches about SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 318 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. Wink

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
patrickmcginnis59 10839
patrickmcginnis59 10839
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Jeff Moden - Monday, January 28, 2019 9:30 AM

Funny... looking back at your posts, I don't see much that teaches about SQL Server.

I likewise didn't like the editorial, heck its even on a favorite topic of mine about problems with software mistakes. I also disliked Jeff's reply about his boss.

to properly post on a forum:http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/
dstrickrott
dstrickrott
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

The topic "Doing the Right Thing" falls under "Ethics" which falls under "Careers". Without ethics, companies would become very difficult places to work in. I think we can all agree we want to work with ethical companies, and part of that is employees / people choosing to do the right thing at work.

Look at the "Related Articles" section to the right of this editorial and you'll find similar posts by Steve and others that aren't directly about SQL Server but affect all of us database professionals.
patrickmcginnis59 10839
patrickmcginnis59 10839
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

dstrickrott - Monday, January 28, 2019 1:22 PM
The topic "Doing the Right Thing" falls under "Ethics" which falls under "Careers". Without ethics, companies would become very difficult places to work in. I think we can all agree we want to work with ethical companies, and part of that is employees / people choosing to do the right thing at work.

Look at the "Related Articles" section to the right of this editorial and you'll find similar posts by Steve and others that aren't directly about SQL Server but affect all of us database professionals.

Heck, I've disliked some technical posts here that were directly topical to database work. I remember one fellow who's name I will mercifully omit, the guy said I should have my users enter thousands of records because HE couldn't define a function over a pair of weekdays. Boy I didn't like those posts one bit, but hey! here's a topical snippit of that situation that IS related to this editorial, the thread got unnecessarily extended because he and his pals could NOT ADMIT TO THEIR MISTAKES. Now THAT situation would merit an editorial worth reading!!!

to properly post on a forum:http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, January 28, 2019 12:57 PM
Jeff Moden - Monday, January 28, 2019 9:30 AM

I likewise didn't like the editorial, heck its even on a favorite topic of mine about problems with software mistakes. I also disliked Jeff's reply about his boss.

I'm just curious especially since it's on a favorite topic of yours... what is it that didn't you like about the editorial?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.