SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Allowing Failure

Allowing Failure

Author
bkubicek
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Allowing Failure
Mark Dalley
Mark Dalley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

This theme reminds me of two quotes:

"The burned hand teaches best. After that, advice about fire goes to the heart." (from Lord of the Rings)
"Experience is a good teacher, but her fees are high." (saw this somewhere).

Personally, "allowing failure" is well down my list of preferred options. When people refuse to listen to advice, they do sometimes have to learn "the hard way". The trouble being, of course, that the fallout from "the hard way" may wreak a company, or a career, or careers. One would therefore prefer to avoid it if possible.

Of course, one may be able to pull success from the jaws of failure. And that is pretty certain to make a good story, and many fond memories.

MarkD
quackhandle1975
quackhandle1975
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.4K reputation)

You only ever learn in chess is when you lose.
- Anon

qh

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.
jay-h
jay-h
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

We learn much more from our failures than our successes ... our successes don't show us things that we didn't already know.

The children point is important. Over the last few decades, parents and teachers have worried far too much about protecting a child's 'self esteem'. We have a generation of people coming of age who are (if you've been following the news) distressed that college is to stressful and demanding, that grades and tests are oppressive, and that punctuality, grammar, and mathematical standards are arbitrary and oppressive.

No room for success there.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)SSC Guru (104K reputation)

It's not so much about allowing people to "fail" as it allowing people to experiment. Small controlled failures are intrinsic to the experimentation process and learning, not just in IT and science but in and everyday life.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
DavidL
DavidL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Just back in the office after a day in the woodshop. There are no end of ways to 'fail' when making something, and each time I discover one, it is a new lesson. I was actually talking about this with the guy who mentors me, and I compared it to a time in my life when I took a train to work. You can get to the train with lots of time to spare, or only a second, but no matter what, you have always 'succeeded'. The only way to really know what it means to miss a train is to be standing on the platform watching it roll away. Then you completely understand 'success' and 'failure'. Until then, they are only concepts.

cparks 3541
cparks 3541
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (149 reputation)

The cost of failure needs to measured against the educational benefit of failure.
RandomStream
RandomStream
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Sky-diving, anyone?
Jeff Mlakar
Jeff Mlakar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

This makes me think of development - especially with learning to code. Failure here is mandatory because it is the only way you'll learn how it works. Like learning a foreign tongue, reading from a textbook isn't enough.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.