SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to migrate Logins from SQL Server to Azure SQL DB

How to migrate Logins from SQL Server to Azure SQL DB

Author
BoobyB
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,
I have just moved one of our on-premises SQL Server database to Azure SQL database. I want to know how to migrate the logins to azure DB while keeping the same password. I know how to do this when we are moving from SQL SERVER to a New SQL Server but not really sure if the same method applies here also. Please note, we do not have the passwords of some of the logins and recreating the login with the same password is not an option.

Any insight is helpful.

Regards,
S
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I assume you mean that creating the logins with a new password isn't OK?

First, that's horrible security. If you can't change a password, you are asking to be hacked, and your organization deserves to suffer penalties for this. Security 101 is that I have to be able to change a password if something is compromised. I'd use this as an opportunity to fix that.

However, the HASHED option from CREATE LOGIN doesn't appear to work. I've queried others to see if there is another workaround. There are password brute force crackers out there that you might be able to use. What vesrion of SQL Server on premises?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
BoobyB
BoobyB
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Steve,

I understand the security implications of not being able to know the password. However, this is the joy of working as a contractor, you come in and find out the last person has a merry way of doing his/her things. Trying to convince is a slow process.

To answer the version question, it's SL Server 2014 ent.

Thanks,
B
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)SSC Guru (603K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I'll see if I can get some answer from MS, but likely, the answer is you need to create with a new password. At least, I hope that's it to make it easier to convince the FTEs.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.