SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to access Reporting services reports from application

Unable to access Reporting services reports from application

Author
sram24_mca
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We have configured the reporting services to view the application reports. Report server is hosted in one system and application is hosted on other system (Not in Domain Group). When we access the reporting services - Reports we are getting the error messages says - Http 401 Unauthorized....!

Please suggest what might be wrong...

Regards,
Ram
Thom A
Thom A
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)

The error message is giving you the answer here, access is not authorised.

As tThe Computer is outside of the domain and it more than likely does not have access to SSRS. If the other domain is part of the same forest, you'll need to allow the domain SSRS is on to be able to trust the other domain, and then add the users(s) or group(s) of the other domain permissions to do whatever they need on SSRS.

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
sram24_mca
sram24_mca
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Both the systems are in WORKGOUP domain..!
Thom A
Thom A
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)SSC Guru (80K reputation)

sram24_mca - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:25 AM
Both the systems are in WORKGOUP domain..!

Are you using a domain called WORKGROUP, or do you mean they both PC's are in the Workgroup WORKGROUP?

If the latter, I've had no experience with using SSRS using Workgroups. You should, however, still be able to add the users of the other PC to the permissions; you'll just need to specify the PC name as part of the username. For example PCName\Thom rather than just Thom. You'll need to add their permissions first by connecting locally.

Edit: Ok, seems, after a quick Google (a wondering tool, you should try it Wink ) that you can't authenticate via a Workgroup. You'll need to disable anonymous authentication on IIS, and then any users accessing the SSRS instance from a different machine will need to use credentials of a User on the Machine SSRS is hosted.

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
sram24_mca
sram24_mca
SSCommitted

Not a domain it's just a workgroup I have tried adding the Computername\Username and it says The user or groupname is not recognized..!
sram24_mca
sram24_mca
SSCommitted

we are using reporting services in a application. means - we have added the Reporting services URL in App - Web.config file. In that scenario how to provide the local user credentials
Thom A
Thom A
SSC Guru

sram24_mca - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:11 AM
we are using reporting services in a application. means - we have added the Reporting services URL in App - Web.config file. In that scenario how to provide the local user credentials

I'm not sure you can.

I had a Google (selling that search engine again) and found a few ideas, but with no environment to test, I can't give an answer. One such, I saw, was having the users on both machines.

Someone else might be able to give you a solution here, but unfortunately, I don't have enough understanding or knowledge for a non-domain set-up.

Thom~

sram24_mca
sram24_mca
SSCommitted

Thanks Thom..!
sram24_mca
sram24_mca
SSCommitted

Any Answers for my Query
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)SSC Guru (69K reputation)

sram24_mca - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:25 PM
Any Answers for my Query

Thom did answer you. The logins would need to authenticate on the local server since it's a workgroup and there is no domain to authenticate against.
The workaround for that is to have the same logins, passwords on the Reporting Services machine. If that doesn't work, you would need to use custom security extensions - something like forms authentication which I personally think is a nightmare.

Sue

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.