SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Time is Precious

Time is Precious

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Time is Precious

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
erb2000
erb2000
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
There is no such thing as "I don't have time". Everyone has the same amount of time. It's all about your priorities on how you use it.

“Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed. The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.”
Eckhart Tolle

“Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.”
Denis Waitley
IowaDave
IowaDave
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)SSC Eights! (831 reputation)

Good reminder - thanks Steve!
mercurej
mercurej
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (176 reputation)

I used to be in the 'I don't have the time to learn that' camp. I regret having ever resided there, I think some things in my career could have been a bit different if I had focused on continually learning early on. However, partially inspired by reading 'The Voice of the DBA' daily (or mostly daily) for several year now, I have started to make a point of doing some type of learning. I have used Microsoft Virtual Academy, started visiting specific blogs regularly and grown my collection of technical & business books. I have even setup Lunch and Learns when I had a local team

Every Friday my lunch hour plus another half hour is blocked out for training on PluralSIght. Only major emergencies cause me to miss that time. I have encouraged my remote team to do the same.

It's never too late to start making learning a priority.
Avi1
Avi1
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:10 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Time is Precious

Nice post Steve. You are right all us can always plan some time a day towards learning, which is going to benefit us only. When I see your dedication and involvement in this forum, it amazes me, your time management is really good.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

mercurej - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:26 AM
I used to be in the 'I don't have the time to learn that' camp. I regret having ever resided there, I think some things in my career could have been a bit different if I had focused on continually learning early on. However, partially inspired by reading 'The Voice of the DBA' daily (or mostly daily) for several year now, I have started to make a point of doing some type of learning. I have used Microsoft Virtual Academy, started visiting specific blogs regularly and grown my collection of technical & business books. I have even setup Lunch and Learns when I had a local team

Every Friday my lunch hour plus another half hour is blocked out for training on PluralSIght. Only major emergencies cause me to miss that time. I have encouraged my remote team to do the same.

It's never too late to start making learning a priority.

Good for you

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Avi1 - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:38 AM

Nice post Steve. You are right all us can always plan some time a day towards learning, which is going to benefit us only. When I see your dedication and involvement in this forum, it amazes me, your time management is really good.

Maybe. I think I'm lurching from task to task sometimes, in a chaotic world. Fortunately my wife is the same way, so she understands. Many nights we're exhausted from the day, but we have learned how to find balance and not let that linger.

mjh 45389
mjh 45389
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

I think prioritizing is even harder for younger people brought up in the last couple of decades. The hours they can waste on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and catch up TV staggers me.
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

Two comments:

I like the ZTD variation of the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology. Both are good systems for improving your productivity. I've published a ZTD ebook in wiki format at https://sterbalssundrystudies.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:ZTD

I sure wish that the SQL Saturday presentations were recorded in a webinar format.
ZZartin
ZZartin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

erb2000 - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:11 AM
There is no such thing as "I don't have time". Everyone has the same amount of time. It's all about your priorities on how you use it.

“Time isn’t precious at all, because it is an illusion. What you perceive as precious is not time but the one point that is out of time: the Now. That is precious indeed. The more you are focused on time—past and future—the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is.”
Eckhart Tolle

“Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.”
Denis Waitley

Other than breathing/eating/sleeping not everyone has the same things to do with their time, so no time is hardly equal for everyone or even equal for any individual day to day.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.