SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Who's Responsible?

Who's Responsible?

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who's Responsible?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Aaron King
Aaron King
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've never been charged a lot but I have been refused reimbursement for a dev site before. I was trying to make a point that a Server couldn't handle the load and was set up incorrectly and cheap cloud hosting would perform better. So I stayed an apps and database with my own credit card. I was right but was not reimbursed. The company spent a lot of money on new hardware and I left the company. I didn't accept that my code was to blame. Seeing that the money spent on my skills was more expensive than hardware and all it needed better hosting not some miracle coding technique. So me leaving freed up even more budget, until of course they needed to replace me with 3 or 4 devs. I still haven't seen that expense check.
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)

Personally, I would never create a site with my own card. I'll buy things and submit an expense report for one-time purchases, but nothing I wouldn't be willing to buy on my own. If the company wants to spin up a site or enter into a hosting agreement, then we'd be using the corporate card.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
BDettloff 66780
BDettloff 66780
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)

HR refused to cover phone calls home that were longer than 3 minutes. When I pointed out that my other charges were very modest and well under limit -- I don't think it made an impression. But when they got to the part in my response that said cover the expense or my road trips are over, reason seemed to take hold. Cell phones, of course, have eliminated this as an issue.
It bothers me that we would ever have to resort to threats to get our employers to live up to their responsibilities. Fortunately, I have had to resort to threats only twice in forty years (once early in my career and once just two years ago).
I suspect contract workers have some horror stories behind their compensations and re-imbursements.
Beatrix Kiddo
Beatrix Kiddo
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:30 AM
Personally, I would never create a site with my own card. I'll buy things and submit an expense report for one-time purchases, but nothing I wouldn't be willing to buy on my own. If the company wants to spin up a site or enter into a hosting agreement, then we'd be using the corporate card.

I couldn't agree more.

ken.romero
ken.romero
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (513 reputation)

I think generally the cost of finding and hiring good technology workers gives us a lot of protection. Of course, that means you have to willing to threaten to quit if it comes to that, but if your in that situation you should find a better company to work for in my opinion.

Some of my co-workers bought their own SSD's to upgrade their company issued work computers before they were a standard part of the setup. This was long after SSD's were mainstream, I think my company didn't issue them to developers until 2015. I always thought they were crazy for doing it though, and when they told me I should do it to I explained that I didn't feel I was so over payed that I should refund part of my salary to the company! That said, I do bring my own keyboard and mouse because that's more a matter of taste and personal comfort.
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)

ken.romero - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:55 AM
That said, I do bring my own keyboard and mouse because that's more a matter of taste and personal comfort.

I do the same thing. I have my own keyboard, which I brought with me on my first day of work. It's a simple matter of comfort.

Years ago, I also bought software - UltraEdit. I couldn't stand using what the company provided, so I researched it and requested it. The request was denied so we agreed that I would buy it myself, but I would take it with me when I left. When I left about 10 years later, I did just that. I brought it with me to my next employer and we made the same agreement. That's now void because when other people saw me using it, they wanted it and the company bought me a newer version. To me, it was worth it because I was willing to buy it myself to improve the quality of my working environment and productivity.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
dld
dld
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)

I always get sign-off on significant expenditures from my supervisor and use his credit card. Neither of us has access to a corporate credit card. Fortunately my boss is a very reasonable person and if I have good reason to ask for expenditures he usually agrees.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)SSC Guru (224K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I've been hesitant to purchase items outside of food for companies, since it's easy for some bosses to just decline the expense.

We once lost an admin password on a Windows box and the manager wanted me to purchase some software that could reset it for US$300. I declined, and asked him to go ahead and use his own CC.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Aaron King
Aaron King
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

ken.romero - Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:55 AM
Some of my co-workers bought their own SSD's to upgrade their company issued work computers before they were a standard part of the setup.

I put an SSD in a company laptop once and it was frowned at. The company didn't even give me a clean hard drive without other profiles and installs on it. I didn't trust it and preferred the SSD performance. The IT manager wanted me to leave in the SSD when I left, I said sure if he paid me for it.

I just brought my own laptop to the last few places. It was saving me hours per day over the guys that didn't have SSD's. My time was more valuable to me than my employer, and that is probably still true today.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.