SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Data Mining / Clustering in Excel 2016?

Data Mining / Clustering in Excel 2016?

Author
pietlinden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It used to be possible to do Data Mining tasks in Excel by using the Data Mining Add-In. Did Microsoft very quietly kill that off? Microsoft's site is pretty worthless on the subject. I thought I could install Solver and then I could do the DM stuff. Do I need to crack open my brand new Excel 2007 or 2010 software to get this to work?
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

pietlinden - Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:48 PM
It used to be possible to do Data Mining tasks in Excel by using the Data Mining Add-In. Did Microsoft very quietly kill that off? Microsoft's site is pretty worthless on the subject. I thought I could install Solver and then I could do the DM stuff. Do I need to crack open my brand new Excel 2007 or 2010 software to get this to work?

Not sure if you caught this one - I went looking the other night after I saw your post. Someone had hacked around it with 2016 using the add-in for 2013. Might be worth a try - see the AceHack reply:
accessing Data Mining Add-in Excel 2016 64bit

Others said they couldn't get it to work. I found one other, I think, similar post but it was barely intelligible so who knows.
I really hope it hasn't been killed off.

Sue

pietlinden
pietlinden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

Sue,
Thanks for the reply. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I installed the Data Mining Add-In... Now to figure out how to set up SSAS Multi-Dimensional... =(

I found an article that shows how to do the simple stuff - I think on SimpleTalk. Guess i'll see if I can get that part working.
This is the add-in...

Pieter
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

Been curious and keep meaning to ask - did you get the Excel Data Mining Add-In to work with 2016?
Did you have to install an older version of Excel and then install the add-in (and then the uninstall, repair and other nonsense)?

Sue

pietlinden
pietlinden
SSC Guru

I just installed that add-in as if it were a 2016 Add-In. Seems to have worked. I expected it to faceplant, but it didn't. =)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.