SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Lightweight, Self-adjusting, Baseline-less Data Monitor

A Lightweight, Self-adjusting, Baseline-less Data Monitor

Author
Alex Chamchourine
Old Hand
Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)Old Hand (351 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Lightweight, Self-adjusting, Baseline-less Data Monitor
kenambrose
kenambrose
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I've advocated for years that many of our metrics for data quality should be based on statistical analysis rather than brute force counting of every single value in every single row.

At one of my contracts we were collecting data from a consumer "internet streaming" device that "called home" constantly while in use in millions of consumer locations.

There were times when a firmware update could - and did - unintentionally break "part" of the data collection but not all of it. For example the volume of data coming in might be normal, but a particular data value might be completely broken.

I implemented a sampling algorithm in TSQL that dynamically calculated the standard deviation for occurrence and range of selected values in a table on a daily basis and could then determine if the current/latest data load contained any value ranges that exceeded the standard deviation.

So we could quickly detect any unplanned/unexpected loss of data in the collection system. Without an automated system it would have been prohibitively expensive to manually verify the data on a daily basis...

And without statistical analysis it would have been too expensive in computing resources and time.

GPO
GPO
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Excellent article and some very cogent comments by kenambcrose.

:-)

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.
Bertrand Russell

Alan Burstein
Alan Burstein
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Excellent article, well written and an easy read. I need to look at/play around with your code a little more to understand what you're doing but I love the overall approach.

-- Alan Burstein

Helpful links:

Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral -- Jeff Moden
How to Post Performance Problems -- Gail Shaw

Nasty fast set-based string manipulation functions:
For splitting strings try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL Server 2012+)
To split strings based on patterns try PatternSplitCM
Need to clean or transform a string? try NGrams, PatExclude8K, PatReplace8K, DigitsOnlyEE, or Translate8K

I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. -- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

David McKinney
David McKinney
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Very interesting article...having done a little reading recently on Kaggle and analysing massive datasets with Python and R, I wonder if the recent R extensions to SQL Server would not be best suited for this type of analysis? Any thoughts?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The R or Python stuff is useful if the statistical work is more complex. Most of what can be done in R can easily work in Python, which is a great language for linking systems or data together.

The R Services will allow you to run R in SQL Server without the data movement in/out of SQL, which is nice, but that's only 2016. For most people, and most systems, this won't be reality for years.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (31K reputation)

Great article, thanks.
zintp
zintp
Old Hand
Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)Old Hand (355 reputation)

Very interesting article, that I tucked away and recently had a reason to revisit. I am not sure I am understanding it completely. Do you have any other references to the technique you are using that you could share? Is this just a standard statistical method of forming a probability distribution from actual data?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.
logitestus
logitestus
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I just spent 30 minutes reading and re-reading this article. It is well thought out, noting it's strong points and where it can be weak. The writer presents the ideas in a clear and concise manner. Bravo! I wish more articles discussing an interesting idea were like this one.
John Hick-456673
John Hick-456673
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (568 reputation)

I am sorry that I didn't see this last year - great article!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.