SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DBAs and the ITIL Framework

DBAs and the ITIL Framework

Author
SQLBlimp
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBAs and the ITIL Framework
Gamberoni
Gamberoni
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

I'm going to have another more detailed read through of this when I have more time, but I'd endorse everything that John says. I'm currently trying to get our ITIL team to implement some of this in our management tool for all of the databases that I manage. We're not there yet and our ITIL / Service Management tool isn't configured to make implementing this easy - but we will get there.

I loathe performance reviews now because I have to spend hours documenting what I've achieved for every review, so automating the collection of that information and integrating with the management reporting my manager does will make life much easier!;-)
SQLBlimp
SQLBlimp
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Thanks for the endorsement. It is a tough job keeping up with events without doing catch-up at review time.

John.
jbrohinsky
jbrohinsky
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

We're doing this with Sysaid's ITSM solution. We have workflows in place for new customizations to our ERP system, feature requests, bug reports, patch installations, refreshing dev and pilot instances, as well as general IT helpdesk, infrastructure, asset tracking, monitoring, etc.

It's made a huge difference in our ability to stay on top of our workload, even though we're a small team. (4 people in the entire department.)
SQLBlimp
SQLBlimp
SSCrazy

We use ManageEngine's ServiceDesk Plus; however there are other tools that rock. Sysaid is one. OTRS is free and has a good ITSM module.
Yet Another DBA
Yet Another DBA
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

ITIL works, chaos doesn't.

If you want to alienate either clients or business users ignore ITIL and just do releases any old how and never have a post-mortem when events reoccur.

Too often the phrase agile is used to say that the ITIL process (or any process) doesn't need to be followed. To my understanding agile doesn't prohibit ITIL.
Iwas Bornready
Iwas Bornready
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Yet Another DBA (10/27/2015)
ITIL works, chaos doesn't.

If you want to alienate either clients or business users ignore ITIL and just do releases any old how and never have a post-mortem when events reoccur.

Too often the phrase agile is used to say that the ITIL process (or any process) doesn't need to be followed. To my understanding agile doesn't prohibit ITIL.

Good thoughts.
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

ITIL: The Information Technology Infrastructure Library. Most DBA out there have heard of ITIL;

I'm not sure this concept is ready to be referred to as an acronym.

Having a change management system that you reliably apply is extremely important. The acronym de-jour, less so.
HighPlainsDBA
HighPlainsDBA
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)SSChasing Mays (634 reputation)

robert.sterbal 56890 (10/27/2015)
ITIL: The Information Technology Infrastructure Library. Most DBA out there have heard of ITIL;

I'm not sure this concept is ready to be referred to as an acronym.

Having a change management system that you reliably apply is extremely important. The acronym de-jour, less so.

Couldn't agree more.
paulcaballero30
paulcaballero30
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Now I'm really motivated to take ITIL Certification.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.