SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Six Figures

Six Figures

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Six Figures

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I don't give much credibility to anything I read on the InfoWorld site, even when they're quoting another source.

They're just cheerleaders for the latest IT fads, and shills for their advertisers.

Took me about 2 seconds on their site to find a perfect example of this:
"Your corporate data needs to be in the public cloud -- starting now"
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/your-corporate-data-needs-be-in-the-public-cloud-starting-now-196475
george-975422
george-975422
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

Locally there does seem a shortage of ETL(SSIS) programmers.
SQLPhil
SQLPhil
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Sometimes in order to achieve the big-bucks salaries you have to make sacrifices along the way. I know a couple of people who wanted to break in to the DBA profession from their previous jobs, and took a pay cut in order to do so to gain the necessary experience. They're now building up to the level where they could take on a more independent role and become contractors if they wished, and I imagine would be very successful at that level.

I think if you're willing to put in the graft, and are prepared to make some sacrifices along the way then it will pay dividends in the end. No one should expect to receive large salaries as a matter of course. You have to work for them!
Mike Hays
Mike Hays
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)

Good Article, I can relate to this one.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)SSC Guru (60K reputation)

As a BI developers with a few years experience I can't really complain about my salary. :-)
Usually when I take a salary survey, I end up above the average pay check for an IT professional my age and my experience.

But ssshhhht, don't tell my boss :-D

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)

Group: Administrators
SQLPhil (7/2/2012)
Sometimes in order to achieve the big-bucks salaries you have to make sacrifices along the way. I know a couple of people who wanted to break in to the DBA profession from their previous jobs, and took a pay cut in order to do so to gain the necessary experience. They're now building up to the level where they could take on a more independent role and become contractors if they wished, and I imagine would be very successful at that level.

I think if you're willing to put in the graft, and are prepared to make some sacrifices along the way then it will pay dividends in the end. No one should expect to receive large salaries as a matter of course. You have to work for them!

Very true. A little investment over time can pay itself back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Bob Abernethy
Bob Abernethy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)SSC-Addicted (444 reputation)

Whenever you can take your IT skills and apply them in a more direct way to helping the business either solve it's problems or identify and capitalize on new opportunities, then you are making yourself more valuable to the business.

BI is about doing those things. So it makes sense that the BI salaries are above average.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Michael Valentine Jones (6/30/2012)
I don't give much credibility to anything I read on the InfoWorld site, even when they're quoting another source.

They're just cheerleaders for the latest IT fads, and shills for their advertisers.

Took me about 2 seconds on their site to find a perfect example of this:
"Your corporate data needs to be in the public cloud -- starting now"
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/your-corporate-data-needs-be-in-the-public-cloud-starting-now-196475

I'm in the same boat. I take their articles with a grain of salt or 10.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Kevin Mao
Kevin Mao
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

HI, Koen

What kind of skills will you recommand to continue develop as BI developer?

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.