Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Push FTP

Push FTP

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/pushftp.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Pretty interesting. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense that the DTS task only does one way transfers - I've looked at the API recently and there ain't a lot of difference between get and put.

I like COM and compiled code for solutions, but for this I doubt it make much difference, would be style and not substance!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Personally I hate installing new software on my servers. I built this solution so that I could quickly and easily move this solution to another server without worrying about registering components, rebooting, etc.

In fact, I setup a new version of this DTS package on a server last week in about 3 minutes with no reboots.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

I agree about reboots - not an issue when you build your own...or as much of an issue anyway. I get a lot of use/reuse out of code in COM dll's.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
darren.green
darren.green
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You've wrapped it up nicely in ActX and no doubt it works great for you, but what about decent error information? I've been down this route but have converted to a COM DLL, so I can get meaningfull error messages. This was a no cost solution as I wrote the DLL and two seconds to install- copy file, register file.

Darren Green

Darren Green
SQLDTS.com | SQLIS.com | Konesans Ltd
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable

Kowabunga, someone who likes to compile code!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever

I'll admit the error handling is low here. I could add some in ActiveX easily, though ftp.exe isn't great for doing this.
I really wanted this solution because I can deploy it completely from sql without being at the server.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

jamyer
jamyer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

Cool. I have a remote site that is about to rehost to W2K & S2K. Your solution will come in handy!

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever

Glad it will help. I've got some more details for how I handle the other side of the backups I will post soon.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

ckempste
ckempste
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Nice article steve. I had the same problem a while ago, I did basically the same thing with a command file for the command line ftp with a cmdshell to run it, works ok but not very clean. in the end, I got a programmer to whip up a com routine for ftp, the beauty of this is that I can specify a specific port which the command line FTP.exe does not allow, therefore, making it very restrictive under some circumstances.

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.