Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Variant Order 3

Variant Order 3

Author
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Variant Order 3

Tom

bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Hmmm Not wanting to give away the reasoning utilized to determine the correct answer I am posting this comment - so as to receive automatic notifications of additions to the discussion of your QOD, which is some regards very similar to the QOD on SQL VARIANT that I had published on 10 Nov. 2011

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

bitbucket-25253 (12/10/2011)
Hmmm Not wanting to give away the reasoning utilized to determine the correct answer I am posting this comment - so as to receive automatic notifications of additions to the discussion of your QOD, which is some regards very similar to the QOD on SQL VARIANT that I had published on 10 Nov. 2011

Yes it is similar in some regards, but nothing like as similar as my Variant Order 1 question on 30 Nov. In fact I was quite worried when your question came out on 10 Nov, because of the very great similarity between that an the one I had submitted a few days before.
My series of three questions on variant order had its origins in the discussion of Paul's Collation and SQL_VARIANT QotD for 1 Nov, see this post.
BTW, something has clearly gone strange with your 10 Nov question as the explanation has different column names, different values, and different number of rows from the question and answer. I don't think it can have been like that when it was first published, or I would have commented then (and even if somehow I hadn't noticed, I'm sure someone else would have commented on the discrepancies). Maybe you could give Steve a revised explanation (or maybe he wouldn't want one this long after the event)?

Tom

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

Thanks Tom.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Difficult one, and that for a Monday.
Thanks Tom for the question.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Cadavre
Cadavre
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Surprisingly difficult, especially considering the % of correct answers!

Thanks for the question and the point :-D

Forever trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

Craig Wilkinson - Software Engineer
LinkedIn
Iulian -207023
Iulian -207023
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Thank you for the question

Iulian
jts2013
jts2013
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Can anyone explain the answer, as I didn't understand the explanation at all :-)
Britt Cluff
Britt Cluff
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Tough question, thanks for submitting.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

I liked the first question in the series, but I did not really need the follow-ups.
The first question already taught me to never ever consider order by SQL_VARIANT columns.

Maybe I have missed it, but is there any plausible reason to order by a SQL_VARIANT column, given the unintuitive sorting semantics? What problem can I solve with that order?

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.