Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 472 total)

  • Reply To: Deleting folder on a drive

    Thanks for that.

     

    I origianlly wanted to do it via a stored procedure (to keep everything together, but now I've added a VB script-task to do the same thing.

     

    Thanks agan

    Richard

  • Reply To: Wanting to learn

    Thanks Grant.  I've been looking at various books but there are loads.

    I'll have a look for Don Jones unless there's something you can recommend?

     

    Regards

     

    Richard

  • Reply To: Wanting to learn

    Thanks Grant.  I'd already grabbed a copy of that (and completely forgotten about it until you kicked a few neurons into life!).

     

    I'm also grabbing some books on Powershell (although it...

  • Reply To: Wanting to learn

    Thanks folks.

     

    The course from SQLSkills actually started yesterday so I missed out on that one.

    It does looks like there are various other offerings available, So i'll keep digging (on the...

  • Reply To: Indexed views

    Apologies for the delay in responding.

     

    We can't use materialised views for the same reason we can't use indexed views.

    I think it's down to the fact we need either:-

    • OUTER APPLY
    • PIVOT
    • ...

  • Reply To: Availability groups - licencing considerations

    Thanks Anthony.

    Looks like we've got some big discussions coming up on the best way to do this.

  • Reply To: Availability groups - licencing considerations

    Thanks for that, I've never heard of change tracking (I'll do some research) but it sounds like it's going to be a lot of work to get it set up.

    Something...

  • Reply To: Availability groups - licencing considerations

    @anthony-2.green - we can't use replication either (vendor won't allow it, and the way they make database changes is weird).

    We could replicate from server B to server C (at a...

  • Reply To: Availability groups - licencing considerations

    Thanks for the info.

     

    Just so I'm clear, if we upgrade server A to 2016 Enterprise would that then work, or will the Developer edition on server C kill off that...

  • Reply To: Indexed views

    Yeah, it would take weeks.

  • Reply To: Indexed views

    @Mike01 - not used materialized views before.  I'll do some digging and see what turns up.

     

    @david-2.Edwards76768 - Unfortunately not, they are used in other sprocs as well as reports.

  • Reply To: Indexed views

    I've seen that bit as well thanks (and managed to get rid this morning).

     

    I'm just doing a test replacing the OUTER APPLY with a LEFT JOIN and moving things around.

     

    Just...

  • Reply To: Indexed views

    Never thought of that (we've done just about everything else!)

     

    I'll try it and see how it goes.

  • Reply To: Storing VARCHAR(MAX) off-row

    Hi Sergiy

     

    The reasoning escapes me as well, I'd need to speak to the vendor on that one.

    All I do know is that we need to store it in that fashion...

  • Reply To: Storing VARCHAR(MAX) off-row

    Hi all

     

    Apologies for missing any questions, I'll get to them now.

     

    Jeff - VARCHAR(MAX) is used as we don't know what amount of data is in each column.  The other consideration...

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 472 total)