Viewing 15 posts - 23,311 through 23,325 (of 49,552 total)
Jeff Moden (9/24/2011)
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Patti Johnson (9/24/2011)
I thought I read that an index reorg is considered one long transaction.
Rebuilds are a single transaction, fully logged in full recovery, minimally logged in bulk-logged...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 11:36 am
Bulk logged recovery won't help. Index reorg is a full-logged operation, always. (it's rebuild that is minimally logged in bulk-logged and simple). Besides, mirroring requires full recovery.
You can increase the...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 10:38 am
I haven't seen an iso, but it's available as an exe (or zip maybe) from the Microsoft site. A google or bing search will find it easily.
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 9:35 am
I suspect that they all were driven insane by bureaucracy and red tape and retired to desert islands.
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 8:37 am
As I said, if a function doesn't have side effect (DML orDDL), the optimiser is free to run it as many times as makes sense for a query plan. If...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 8:36 am
Because a function may not have side effects (change the permanent database structure).
If a function doesn't have side effect, the optimiser is free to run it as many times...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 24, 2011 at 3:14 am
Please post new questions in a new thread. Thank you.
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm
There's an implicit conversion that's forcing the scan. You'll probably find that the data types of attributevalue is not the same in both tables. SQL has to convert to do...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:56 am
GilaMonster (9/23/2011)
Post the attach statement, post any messages in the SQL error log after the attach.
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:54 am
Post the exec plan please
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:40 am
Ninja's_RGR'us (9/23/2011)
GilaMonster (9/22/2011)
SQL Server MVP Deep Dives 2 will soon be available for pre-order and early access via Manning publishers: http://www.manning.com/delaney/
Chapter 8: "The how and why of Page Restores",...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:29 am
Gianluca Sartori (9/23/2011)
I always feel safer when I set up a SQL_SERVICE user on my laptop with no special permissions. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's just how I feel. -)
I...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:23 am
SQLRNNR (9/23/2011)
GilaMonster (9/23/2011)
I could plug Jonathan Kehayias's upcoming book that I know covers it (in chapter 4). but it won't be out for a couple weeks...
Title? That is a...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 11:13 am
Gianluca Sartori (9/23/2011)
So, why does TaskManager display wrong info for sqlservr.exe? Is there a particular reason?
Yes, it's not a bug (not really)
I could plug Jonathan Kehayias's upcoming book that I...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
September 23, 2011 at 10:42 am
Viewing 15 posts - 23,311 through 23,325 (of 49,552 total)