Viewing 15 posts - 21,871 through 21,885 (of 49,552 total)
Dev (12/7/2011)
Optimizer can create statistics on columns. Uses actual row count for generation execution plan.
Estimated row count, not actual. The optimiser doesn't go off and count the actual...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 6:45 am
Dev (12/7/2011)
Even Temporary Tables will fail there if the stored procedure is not created with RECOMPILE or OPTIMIZE FOR hint.
No, they won't. Temp tables have statistics. When a...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 6:44 am
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/7/2011)
Dev (12/7/2011)
And that's precisely my point. Plus, it can cache complete table in memory.As I already said before this myth to effing die!
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Temporary+Tables/66720/
I wish it would die....
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 6:26 am
Dev (12/7/2011)
Plus, it can cache complete table in memory.
So if I have a SQL instance with 2GB of memory and put 10GB of data into the table...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 6:25 am
Jeff Mayer (12/7/2011)
I am trying to put together the information so I can recommend how to resolve this issue.
GilaMonster (4/10/2009)
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 5:47 am
Dev (12/7/2011)
in terms of its existence (life) in memory and Execution Plan re-usability (recompilation threshold) Table Variables are better.
As long as you don't mind poor-terrible performance in return...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 7, 2011 at 12:23 am
Yes, it will.
Please see my posts in the thread linked earlier for how to resolve this completely.
p.s. I'm not making vague guesses here, that has helped a lot of people...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm
select count(distinct ProprietaryID), SSN
from Customers
group by SSN
having count(distinct ProprietaryID) > <Some Threshold Value>
order by count(distinct ProprietaryID) DESC
Should work, but...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm
It partially depends on the OS. Windows Server 2003 was very, very prone to doing massive working set trims for just about no reason, so SQL would just get its...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm
MyDoggieJessie (12/6/2011)
I have verified that the files were differential backups.
I never suggested they weren't
however, these were all generated from a standard maintenance plan...bizzarre!
Never suggested they weren't.
What I said...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189128.aspx
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Grant Fritchey (12/6/2011)
GilaMonster (12/6/2011)
Grant Fritchey (12/6/2011)
LutzM (12/6/2011)
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/6/2011)
...Would have been such a slam dunk of either of Jeff, Gail or I had been the single finalist from ssc! 😉
I...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm
Trivial plans are cached.
Any databases set to autoclose?
Any regular restores?
Any cache flush messages in the error log?
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 1:25 pm
Grant Fritchey (12/6/2011)
LutzM (12/6/2011)
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/6/2011)
...Would have been such a slam dunk of either of Jeff, Gail or I had been the single finalist from ssc! 😉
I guess I know...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm
Did you run the ALTER TABLE. Did it succeed?
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
December 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 21,871 through 21,885 (of 49,552 total)