Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 18,946 through 18,960 (of 49,552 total)

  • RE: Dropping indexes with low read to write ratio?

    SQLKnowItAll (4/19/2012)


    GilaMonster (4/19/2012)


    SQLKnowItAll (4/19/2012)


    To add a bit that people often forget is the uniqueness of the column(s) indexed. If the data is skewed the index may not be very helpful...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Dropping indexes with low read to write ratio?

    SQLKnowItAll (4/19/2012)


    To add a bit that people often forget is the uniqueness of the column(s) indexed. If the data is skewed the index may not be very helpful unless filtered....

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    I should add, I've promised myself The Old Republic as a 'thesis submitted' purchase, and I'll probably lose a few months to that.

    Considering trying out EVE. Thought I'd download the...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Isolation Levels doubt

    Chapter 6 of this has a 'short' summary of locks and locking modes

    http://www.simple-talk.com/books/sql-books/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-the-accidental-dba/

    Then chapter 10 of SQL 2008 internals for the detail.

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Question regarding Index.

    Vedran Kesegic (4/19/2012)


    Please don't mind if I say that for non-clustered indexes on a non-unique clustered tables the 'pointer' it is not the clustered index key. Additional column is internally...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Personally I'm voting for 'ignore the trolls'

    #declare NewTopic;

    Who plays MMOs and which ones?

    I've just quit the one I played for a few years, they added a 'pay to win'...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Question regarding Index.

    Vedran Kesegic (4/19/2012)


    It consumes space because it stores duplicate of some columns from a table, in a physical structure called binary-tree which is sorted structure.

    It's a b-tree, not a binary...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Eeeep. Nasty.

    I remember that you were there on the Monday, I was so busy running around everywhere the rest of the week that I didn't pick up on your...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Dropping indexes with low read to write ratio?

    Evil Kraig F (4/19/2012)


    Add to that the explicitness of your where clauses that approach the data and a number of other factors, and anything from "never more than 2" to...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Isolation Levels doubt

    stevro (4/19/2012)


    6)Read committed snapshot: As above, but takes a copy of the most recent committed version of the data as of the beginning of the transaction.

    I think 6 needs to...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Isolation Levels doubt

    SQLKnowItAll (4/19/2012)


    I think it is assumed that the shared lock is only placed on committed data, as you cannot lock data that is not committed. EDIT: I think...

    Sure you can....

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Dropping indexes with low read to write ratio?

    SkyBox (4/19/2012)


    So basically, if you can create or keep an index that can cover serveral others, then queries can use the larger index with more coverage just as efficiently?

    It won't...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    The Dixie Flatline (4/19/2012)


    Well I was... except for the part about dying at PASS. 😉

    Wait, what? I know I've been pretty busy at the last couple summits,...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    The Dixie Flatline (4/19/2012)


    Y'all *do* know that I kid a lot, right?

    Yes, but hard to tell in text.

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    The Dixie Flatline (4/19/2012)


    GilaMonster (4/19/2012)


    Just walk away. He's not likely to get it and all you're doing is getting frustrated. Walk away and leave him.

    I hope you were talking about...

    Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

    We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 18,946 through 18,960 (of 49,552 total)