Your Suggestion for SQL Server 2008 Clustering

• Hope I did not post this in the wrong place. Could not find any clustering part of it, so I decide to ask my questions/concerns/advise and anything that you probably have in mind about this topic here.

We are about to migrate to SQL Server 2008 in less than 3 months. We are currently in SQL 2005 Standard Edition and we are about to move our servers to SQL 2008 Standard Edition as well. Couple of things here. We are not going to completely move to 2008 overnight. So, an instance is going to be created and on top of that we are also going to add another extra cluster node ( we currently have 2 node; active passive ).

Please share your ideas or anything that you have faced with this kind of implementation. Appreciate any and all of your suggestions. I am open to hear anything.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• [We are not going to completely move to 2008 overnight. So, an instance is going to be created and on top of that we are also going to add another extra cluster node ( we currently have 2 node; active passive ).

If you currently have a 2 node active passive cluster you can't add another node since SQL 2005/2008 Standard only supports 2 node clustering.

Have you run the upgrade advisor against your current setup to make sure you are not using any features in 2005 that are deprecated in 2008? I would start there.

• Sorry about the confusion. Nodes are still going to be 2. No changes on that. We are adding another cluster actually. So, no problem there.

As for the Upgrade Advisor, yes, we have ran that and nothing major was reported. It came out clean.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• It should be fairly straight forward then if you are doing to side by side migration.

1. Copy logins and jobs from old server to new

2. Backup databases before the migration

3. Backup/restore to new server or detach/attach to new server once all users are out of the system.

4. Run post upgrade tasks like update usage, update stats, change compatibility level to 10, etc.

This white paper should provide more details.

• it is not going to be a side by side migration. We are trying to have a named instance of SQL 2008 on the default SQL 2005. Since the migration will not be an overnight migration (meaning we are going to do little by little), the SQL 2005 default instance will be running in parallel until everything comes into the SQL 2008 instance. 1 server, 1 cluster 2 nodes (active passive) 64 bit standard edition.

• Gotcha. I was a little confused. My previous post is still valid for your setup although I would do a detach/attach since you are not changing servers. Do a final backup before this in case you need to rollback.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply