XP_sendmail not work

• I would appreciate if someone to know what is the problem with my mail configuration.

I am running on windows 2000 advanced server. sql7 enterprise version and sp4. have Microsoft outlook.. Test from Enterprise manager, send mail is ok. run a job when job is failed send mail is OK. But when run XP_sendmail run for ever...

• SQLMail (xp_sendmail) and SQLAgentMail (sends notification of the job failure) are two different things entirely, so there usually isn't anything there if the Profile(s) are set correctly. I've seen SQLMail fail while SQLAgentMail kept working and vice versa.

First question, have you just configured it and it isn't working, or has it been running correctly for a while and suddenly stopped working as expected. Second question, when you say sendmail is okay from EM, do you mean you tested the profile and it came back as working or do you mean something else?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• From Microsoft KB Article Q315886:

Q12: Why does SQL Mail stop responding (hang)?

A12: If SQL Mail hangs periodically, the most likely cause is the loss of a connection to the mail server. Experience shows that SQL Mail is more likely to stop responding when you use an Internet mail (POP3/SMTP) server, but it can also stop responding if a connection to an Exchange server fails.

What happens is that the mail client attempts to connect to the mail server. If the connection fails, a message from the mail client appears that requests user action as to whether to continue or cancel. The message does not appear on the server because SQL Mail is run from the SQL Server service. Because a message does not appear, no user action can occur and SQL Mail waits indefinitely. Even if you re-establish the network connection, SQL Mail does not automatically reset and retry. You must stop and restart the SQL Server service before you can begin sending messages again.

Another possible reason for SQL Mail to stop responding is a new Outlook security feature that warns when a non-Outlook application is sending e-mail. SQL Mail for SQL Server 6.5 and SQL Server 7.0 are such non-Outlook applications. If a security dialog box window appears when SQL Mail is sent, this has the same effect of making SQL Mail stop responding as if the connection to the mail server were lost.

Q13: How can I tell if dialog box messages are causing SQL Mail to stop responding?

A13: Because SQL Mail is run through the SQL Server service, any dialog box messages that cause SQL Mail to stop responding do not appear on your desktop. To determine if SQL Mail is causing dialog box messages, you must run SQL Server as a console application, not as a service. To do so, use these steps:

Log on to the Windows server with the same account used to start the SQL Server service.

Open a command prompt window. If you are using SQL Server 2000, you must navigate to the directory in which the executable files for your SQL Server instance are installed.

Start SQL Server as an application by executing this command:

sqlservr -c

NOTE: For SQL Server 2000, if you use a named instance, you must add -s with the instance name.

Connect to SQL Server with Query Analyzer, and then run the xp_sendmail extended stored procedure to test sending a mail message. If you are not using SQL Server 2000, you may need to run the xp_startmail extended stored procedure to start SQL Mail before you try to send mail.

If a dialog box appears, you must correct the problem before you can use SQL Mail.

• Hi Kelly

From agent property test mail frofile is OK. mail function is never worked.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply