xp_logininfo

• I'm getting the following error when running xp_logininfo 'DOMAINNAME\username' and I have no idea why:

Server: Msg 8198, Level 16, State 8, Procedure xp_logininfo, Line 58

Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'DOMAINNAME\username'.

I do this on 2 SQL servers in the same domain, both SQL7 SP3 and both running on NT 4 SP6. I have created a new user which does not belong to any group and via EM, added DOMAINNAME\username as a SQL login. On one server, the command executes successfull, returning the correct info, on the other I get msg. 8198.

And no, there are no groups with the same name as the domain or servername (the only bug about this that I could find on the internet).

Any ideas??

• Have you checked the sql startup account for that server.

If the account has been set to 'change password on next login' etc it will not be able to obtain any info.

Steven

• Thanks, but that is not the problem. I am actually getting this with all accounts on the domain and then created this one account belonging to no group to test with.

• No, this is an NT domain, not WIN 2000.

• Problem solved! The startup account for the sqlserver service was a local admin on the server and not a domain account.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply